Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Manipulation under anesthesia ?????  (Read 1167 times)

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Manipulation under anesthesia ?????
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
Hi, I have recurrent patella dislocations, the last one 11/12 weeks ago. I was in a splint and then a plaster cast for a total of 6 weeks and for the last 6 weeks have been attending physiotherapy.

The problem i am having is I am unable to bend my knee past 60 degrees. 60 degrees has been the most; although the more times I try to bend my knee the less bending I have.

The physio has told me that when I go back to see the OS he might what to give me a general anaesthetic and forcefully bend and straighten my knee (MUA)

Has anyone had this done before ?

Thanks for any replies in advance

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Manipulation under anesthesia ?????
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »
Hi, getting rom back after any knee injury is quite difficult,i myself had a patella fracture, so i usually go on the pages under the heading "Bone breaks around the Knee",may-be you should put this topic on to those pages,as so many people on there, have had to have the MUA performed,may-be you will get various opinions and views,to answer your questions on those pages.
I can really sympathise with you being stuck with a low ROM,but apparently,going by what i have read, this procedure is quite aggressive,but fortunately i have now reached full rom, so i do not have to consider this as an option.
I wish you all the best, and good luck.
            Coral
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed