Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Long Haul Flight after ACL reconstruction : Advice needed  (Read 6170 times)

Offline ak1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Long Haul Flight after ACL reconstruction : Advice needed
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
Hi,

I am having ACL reconstruction at the end of November/ early December.
I am then flying to New Zealand at the start of Feb.

Essentially at the start of Feb I fly from London to Hong Kong (12 hours) where we stop for a day
The Hong Kong to NZ (10hrs)

The flight is around 6-8 weeks after the Operation.
I will be talking to my Doctor about this, but what have other people experienced? and what advice would you have fort a quick recovery?

Thanks very much
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:39:16 PM by ak1973 »

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Long Haul Flight after ACL reconstruction : Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
Hi, My injury wasnt the same as yours, it was a displaced patella fracture,but did require surgery,once i had the cast removed,i worked hard to get ROM, as i was flying to spain for a holiday,granted it is only a short flight but i still asked if i would be ok to fly

I actually fractured my patella whilst in spain, and was flown home to the uk for the op,and was in a full leg cast,so therefore i had to have a blood thinning injection to travel back, as i couldnt walk,or move my leg.
I was about 14 weeks post-op when i went again on holiday. 
My OS said that providing i wore flight socks,walked around on the plane as much as i could,drank plenty off water,and avoided drinking fizzy drinks, tea, or coffee,i should be fine.

So i certainly would recommend that you ask your OS before travelling,as DVT is always a possibility if limbs are static for long periods,so it may well depend on your mobility.
Hope this helps.
      Coral
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:04:06 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline ak1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks

has anyone had a particluarly quick recovery from an ACL injury..and if so, what did you do to help the recovery along...

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:16 AM »
Why don't you get yourself some compression socks such as the long distance runners use to make sure that you keep the calf swelling under control as well as reduce the risk of DVT. These are a good idea for anyone who is flying long distance, but after surgery, albeit several weeks earlier, it would not harm. something like tubigrip around your knee should also help to keep the swelling under control.

I found (and still find) that on any flight my knees stiffen up, so I make sure I have an aisle seat and get up and walk around. On longer flights I also cleared it with the flight attendents to do some stretching exercises and general mobilization work in the galley area. Obviously I waited until the were not serving meals and they were quite happy to let me do my "things" as they called it.

If the flight is relatively empty it also helps me to move to a block of empty seats and stretch out to sleep. I've done this on flights many times now.

You cannot speed up the recovery from an ACL but you can, like many thousands of people, go through the rehab without encountering any problems. Follow your surgeon's instructions and make sure you have a PT who is working with you rather than FOR a department. Do your exercises correctly and regularly and you will be fine. I was back skiing at 5.5 months after my last ACL revision. And back in work at 6 weeks post-op, so you can do both!.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline ak1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragment.,.....most appreciated    :)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Call the airline(s) asap, explain the situation and ask to be allocated a bulkhead seat so you have some more legroom.  They won't allow you to sit on an emergency exit but more are understanding.  If going BA, you can I believe pay extra to select a seat in advance, again not sure if they release the bulkheads in this way (normally reserved for families with little kids - which could be a trade off for the extra space)

Definitely wear flight socks and ask the OS if you should take low dose aspirin before travelling - this is the advice I was given when I went to Florida last year, 2 months after my injury.  personally I like the aisle whereby I can stretch my leg out, but some prefer to be inside and so more protected - I like to be able to get up and down at will too without disturbing people!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up