Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 969 times)

Offline JTrempe219

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery
« on: November 12, 2010, 05:32:13 AM »
Hi,

I am a physical therapist.  Most likely the cyst will be removed.  Meniscus tears are common and the surgery is one of the least complicated of knee surgeries.  Still, for recovery purposes it will take a few days to get off of crutches and a number of weeks to return to full function. 

For more info on what to expect with meniscus tears and surgery, visit:  http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/meniscus-tear.html

~JTrempe PT, ATC

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
You say you are a physical therapist. My new OS just informed me that the excercises my Pt gave me are wrong for my condition. My surgery papers said I had fracturing and delamination of the articular cartilage in the medial femoral condyle. They had me doing leg lifts and side leg raises with a 4 lb. weight. He has changed my routine to just quad sets. My question to you is could the stuff he had me doing have damaged my knee further? I was feeling some improvement right after surgery but in the last few weeks I have progressively gotten worse again. Thanks for any insight you may have and any suggestions.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
I couldn't teel you really but I woudl say it probably aggrivated it and prevented it from settling down.

I've never done slrs with weights.  At first I used to hold my leg up for 3 second and do 80 reps 3 times a day.  Then I moved on to 50 reps 10 seconds  3 tiems a day.  Now I still do them just a suppiment to my squats and calf and glue exercises.  I do about 4 or 5 which I hold for a minute at a time and then a last one for as long as I can hold it.  On my left knee I think the longest was 4 minutes and on the right it was aobut 6 minutes.  By the time I have to let the leg down the muscle is shaking like mad but it really helps.  It helped bring my left knee from being an attrocious, knee to merely beinga bad knee.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
Thanks Kscope! He had me do the straight leg raises and side leg raise with a weight and also heel slides and some other stretches. This OS said the only exercise I should be doing is quad sets. Where you put a towel under your knee and press down hold for 5 seconds and repeat 20 times 3 times a day. He said my quads are weak although I was doing all those leg lifts, just seems strange to lessen the workout to strenghten your muscles. For some reason he don't want me to do anything where I have to lift my heel from the floor.
Right leg amputee.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
I'll tell you what I think Kim!

I think that by doing exercises that stressed the joint a little too much too soon your body reacted by suppressing the muscle building that should have been taking palce.  Gentler ones might not be as good at building muscle.  It was explained to me that slrs with weights are a moderately advanced exercise and they are something you should build up to.  I've been told I can do them if I want and I might but building up the way i described earlier has really been good.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
That makes sense to me. I guess I will give it a go and see if I improve. I also got a cortizone shot on Monday and it has made me swell horrible, am hoping that it settles down soon! Thanks again!
Right leg amputee.