Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Slip & Fall accident, severe knee pain..  (Read 2416 times)

Offline sbkc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Slip & Fall accident, severe knee pain..
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »
Hello, This is my first time posting here... but I've got some questions..  and I'm sorry if I've posted this in the incorrect section of the site..

4 weeks ago I slipped in a puddle of water in a store and heard 3 pops/crunches in the process of my fall, which was the most painful experience in my life.  I'm 22 years old and of normal weight for my height.  I was taken to my local hospital where they did x-rays and said there was no break, only a sprained knee, and I should go home and rest.  After 24 hours and  no improvement only more significant pain, I went back to the hospital and had to have my knee drained.  At this time, my knee was the size of a medium sized melon.  The OS I saw told me it was too soon to have an MRI done but from the drainage (80 CC's) it was most defiantly soft tissue damage and SOMETHING was torn.  He ordered me a wheelchair and said if I am not in bed, I need to be in my chair or using crutches, not to apply weight to my leg and come back in 2 weeks.

After 2 days all of the fluid returned and I called the OS asking to come in sooner and he said I didn't need to and this was all normal.  I went to the ER because the pain was unbearable and they did an MRI at this time.  The ER doctor said he consulted with an OS and the MRI read that my knee cap was broken.  This doctor said "its as if some one took a baseball bat to your knee cap".

So I went to the doctor 10 days after that appointment and the doctor then said that I didn't break my knee cap, I broke my femur and all of the same things apply, don't bare weight, get lots of rest, don't do anything strenuous to my leg.

A few days ago I started feeling something shift in my upper leg when I would move my leg.  If I placed my hand on my leg I could feel the movement.  I'm unsure if it was a muscle tightening or what not but something shifted.  I called my doctor this morning to ask if this is normal and he said this was.  He also then went to tell me that its questionable if he could call it a fracture, it is more like a crack/hairline/bone bruise and by now I should be walking and almost back to normal.

I am still just as swollen as I was a month ago, my knee does not bend, I'm still in extreme pain, if I put my leg down and put any weight on it I fall... This is the worst experience I've ever had... (I'm obviously getting a second opinion and a different doctor)

My question is, has anyone bruised their lower femur bone? If so, what sort of pains did you feel?
I can't find much information online.

Besides a second opinion and new doctor, does anyone have any advice on what should be done? 

Thank you!

Offline arthriticknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Physiotherapist
    • The Arthritic Knee
Re: Slip & Fall accident, severe knee pain..
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »
Hi Sbkc,

Getting another opinion sounds like a good idea and also a definitive answer on your actual diagnosis.
If your kneecap was fractured you would be needing to keep the knee straight and these also often require surgery.
What is going on with your femur is still not apparent from what you have said.
An MRI can pick up small fractures as it shows the associated swelling in the area. My first question at your next appointment would be: "What exactly is wrong with my leg?". You have been told different things at different times and you will not be able to find out if you are getting the right treatment if your diagnosis is unknown.

Hopefully you will find a doctor who will let you know if the scan results are inconclusive (as occasionally happens) and explain to you the rationale behind their choice of treatment. This may be what has happened here.

Good luck
Remember that any advice on an online forum is of a general nature.
You are always advised to be assessed by a medical professional so your individual situation is addressed.

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Slip & Fall accident, severe knee pain..
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Hi, i would definitely be looking towards a 2nd opinion if i were you.
The symptoms that you are descibing,sound pretty much like the symptoms i had with my injury, and mine WAS a displaced patella fracture,which did need surgery.
If i were you, i would be getting that 2nd opinion ASAP,as if the injury has been wrongly diagnosed,you are obviously not getting the correct treatment,and if it is a fracture, you could be doing more damage,so go and check it checked out, and demand some answers.
Hope it turns out ok.Keep us posted.
Wishing you all the best.
                                  coral
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:24:12 AM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed