Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain After Hardware Removal of Rotational Tibial Osteotomy !  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Pain After Hardware Removal of Rotational Tibial Osteotomy !
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
Hi Y'all,

I had a DTO and a MPFL rebuild 18 months ago, complications galore.  At last, after 18 months, I had my hardware removed.  It was a 7 inch curved plate with 7 screws, 3 which were 2 1/2 inches, 3 were 2 inches, and 1 was 1 inch.  The surgery was an hour, but I spent the night just to be on the safe side.  Everything went fine, but my pain has not been under control since.  Today is one week.

Dr. T. said he was going to slide the plate out from between the muscle and the bone.  A resident, who was in the operating room, said that he had to cut through the muscle.  My 7 inch long incision was bleeding up until yesterday.  I was told I could bear 100% of the weight the day after surgery.

Others have said what a breeze the removal was, and it is compared to the operation itself.  I took Toradol for 5 days, then tried to go without anything (not advisable).  I had a script for Percoset from Teitge, but can't tolerate it.  I have been taking Lortab 3 times a day, but still, not much relief.  I guess I just have to "tough it out" as I don't want to take anything stronger.

I think I was doing too much, walking without crutches, and not resting.  Today, I have been low key, and the pain is better.  I'm just frustrated because I was on crutches for 14 months, and have only been walking since July.
I normally have a high tolerance for pain.

Any feedback or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aree
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
Re: Pain After Hardware Removal of Rotational Tibial Osteotomy !
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »
I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful feedback, Aree.  I just read your post and wanted to offer you my sympathies.  Sounds like you are having a tough time!

You were on crutches for ages.  I thought tibial osteotomies were only supposed to require crutches for eight weeks?  Or is it the MPFL rebuild that necessitated the crutches?  I'm not familiar with that procedure.

One thing I know is that the body needs rest to heal, so don't overdo it!  Best of luck to you.

1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »
Aree!!!!!!!! LTNS I'm so glad to hear that you finally got your hardware out.  I had both of my plates out about a month ago. I took toradol for 7 days then took motrin and norco for probably another week or so as needed. No way at 5 days would have been taking nothing. I had a lot lot lot of swelling after this surgery. A lot worse than when I had the osteotomies.  I pretty much just had to take it easy for a few weeks. I'm slowly getting back to everything, its just taking time.

Hugssss
Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
Nikki Ann,
Thanks so much for posting.  I don't want to scare you out of having this surgery!  At two weeks post op, I am much better pain wise, just taking Darvocet 3 x daily.  I am able to walk without crutches, but don't want to over do it, so I stop when I feel pain.  I wasn't resting at all, so this week I've been on the couch addressing my Chrsitmas cards!  I appreciate your empathy very much.

Paiigey it's been ages!!!!!  Good to hear from you girl!I'm glad that you have all the surgeries behind you, and things are going well.  I value your feedback, and am glad that I'm not a wimp.  It takes a bit longer at 50 to bounce back.  If I could get back to walking a mile, I'd be happy. I can tell a huge difference with that plate out.  I go to PT today, and I know she's going to kill me.  I've known her for 10 years, and she's rehabbed all my surgeries.  I kept my hardware, and my husband nearly fainted when he saw it!  One of the nurses told me that a resident that is under Teitge keeps the hardware, and was disappointed that I was keeping mine!  EEWWWW!!!!  Isn't that creepy?

Hope you continue to do well, and thanks for the encouragement.  A fellow KG told me to remember that I am "running a marathon, not a sprint."  I figure I'm about mile 18.

Hugs,
Aree 
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
I am much better pain wise, just taking Darvocet 3 x daily.

Aree - Not sure if you have seen this yet..

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=54073.0;topicseen

Darvocet has been removed from the US market.  You may want to consider contacting your DR for an alternative.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Karen,

Thank you so much for this startling news.  As it states, it has been used for over 50 years, but many consider it useless in terms of pain reduction.  Guess I want to get off this drug ASAP.

Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Areeee!

You're so not a wimp! Don't ever think that!

I kept all my hardware...Dr. T kept it all for me all the way down to the washers! LOL There wasn't anyone keeping it but me... no way! I'm pretty sure I made that very very clear before surgery in pre op!  That metal cost more than anything I'll ever buy in my whole life, money and pain.

My hardware...a really crappy picture but you'll get the idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/j5rox/d8b7665a.jpg

It's been about a month since mine were out and I'm still sore some days. We gotta keep in touch!

Hugsssss
Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »

Hi Paige,

WOW!  Your hardware is most impressive.  No wonder you were in so much pain.  I appreciate the feedback on healing expectations.  I'm still on crutches, but bearing all weight.  I don't use them around the house.  So hard to be patient!

My daughter is coming home for Thanksgiving and I want to be able to go out and do some things.  Guess I'll do daily PT and lay low for 3 days.  It really makes a difference for me when I stay on the couch for 4-5 hours during the day.

We need to have a meeting for all the twiisted sisters!

Thanks again for your feedback.  It means a lot, and reduces my stress level.  Always great to have others on the path cheering me on!  Please stay in touch.

Hugs,
Aree
LPFL rebuild May 2009