Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Shoe recommendations while on crutches  (Read 6216 times)

Offline sami78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Shoe recommendations while on crutches
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but anyone out there have shoe recommendations while on crutches?  A nurse suggested that I wear one slightly elevated shoe and keep the other foot shoeless.  Now that I can put both feet down for balance, the one shoe thing isn't such a great solution anymore.  Another nurse suggested getting a shoe with a back strap, and the only ones I have are my tennis or running shoes, which are a hassle to get on and off and frankly do not match my outfits, which are skirts and dresses these days (easier to manage with the brace).  Even though I'm on crutches with a full leg brace, I don't want to look like a complete mismatched slouch.  Any suggestions?  What kind of shoes did you wear?  Did you wear two shoes?  Ease of use, comfort, and functionality are the primary criteria.  If I can find something cute that fits this criteria, all the better.  Thanks!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Shoe recommendations while on crutches
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
I think as long as you have something that's reasonably supportive and doesn't have high heels, you should be fine. Having said that I had my surgery in the middle of a heatwave and crutched around in flipflops without any problems, and they're not supportive at all. As long as you feel comfortable and like you're not going to trip or stumble, I honestly don't think it matters too much whether you wear runners, smart shoes, or slip-ons.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Daenae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
I'm wearing my Crocs.  Well, the generic kind but they are easy to put on and take off and they are comfortable. I put them on both feet but my left foot is still swollen so it just barely fits.  Since they are slip ons though, I can dangle it from my toe.

cdubb

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »
I just wear my regular gym shoes and that works for me.  I'm only a week out though, so mostly I'm just sock footed or barefooted at home. In the rare instance I venture out, I just wear my gym shoes.  Merrill makes some good shoes that look easy to put on and some styles would go better with work clothes. 

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Footwear-Shoes-SlipOns