Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Good knee now swelling and causing problems!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline gpjayne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Good knee now swelling and causing problems!
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
I had a accident 2 years ago, damaged knee, but was not operated on until June this year. Had lots of work done on the knee, meniscus tear in centre of knee repaired, large medial plica removed, hoff pad and patella reshaped and put back in place and also diagnosed with grade 3 athritis at the site of the damge. Anyway, after returning to work over a period of time the left knee has now started to swell and cause severe pain. My physio believes it to be a compensation reaction and recommends the usual ice and rest. Has anyone else had this problem when the so-called good knee gives up the ghost, when your bad knee is still struggling????? Help!!!!

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
Re: Good knee now swelling and causing problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Yup, I've been there and in fact still am there. My left knee was horrendously bad over the summer, so I started using crutches. Within a few days something went haywire in my right knee and it has never returned to normal. Today I noticed that my right knee can't bend past a certain point without severe pain. I had been having problems with my left knee for over 9 months before this happened. My right knee was perfect before that. You can definitely have problems from compensating, and the problems can be just as severe as the original issue. I'd like to tell you that it will just get better with time, but it hasn't for me. I've since learned that there is no such thing as a good knee. Good heavens, I hate knees!

If you're in that much pain, I'd suggest going back to the OS and request an MRI. Don't assume that it's just going to get better. And yes, it's agonizing to think that the "good knee" is now having problems, the knee that was never injured. How can that be? But you're not the only one.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:52:03 AM »
Hi

I have similar problems, had surgery in June on my right knee and now having severe problems with my left knee so you are not alone! I'm currently awaiting results of MRI arthrograms on both knees (the right knee never recovered from original surgery).

I would have to agree that its worth seeing your OS again, I had hoped that my problems would go away but 5 months later both of my knees are worse than ever. The strangest thing for me is that up until June, I had never had any problems with either of my knees and now they are both an absolute nightmare which I find baffling??  ???

Good luck with yours  :)
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline gpjayne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Seeing OS on 24th November to tell him the good news and see where we go next.

I hate knees too, my employer hates my knees, my daughter hates my knees ( she has to help out more) and my dog hates my knees, no more long walks for a while  >:(

I want some new ones, but I'm 41 and have been told that I can't have any!!!!!! ;D

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
You are not alone there, i hate knees too,my friend hates knees, as does my husband,family,in fact i dare not mention knees any more, so more praises for this site,we DARE mention our knees and not feel bad about it.   KG, what would we do without it.   thank-you
          coral
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »
I know all too well what over compensating can do for a knee. I am a right leg amputee and have been forever now. I have always used this one leg for everything and it has destroyed my knee and my ankle isn't much better. The body is made to destibute our weight and when you can't do that it can take a toll on everything. I am only 33 so no new knees for me either, just keep getting told to change my exercises and get more shots in the joint. I hope you get some answers at your appointment and hopefully some relief!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

support