Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Seen new OS yesterday....  (Read 847 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Seen new OS yesterday....
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
I had arthoscopic surgery in Aug. and haven't improved much since, so I went to see a new OS yesterday. He gave me a cortisone shot and told me to stop doing my leg raises with weights, he said for the problem I have they will only make it worse. These are the things my physical therapist had me doing. He told me to only do Qaud sets, this is laying down with a rolled up towel under my knee and then pressing down and holding for 5 sec. He said to give it 2 months and if I am not better he will probably want to scope me again and see whats going on. The cortizone shot has made my pain worse, but he said it might for a coupe of days. I really liked this OS he took the time to answer my questions and explain some things to me. I was reading my medical records from the surgery and my problem was I had extensive fracturing and delamination of the medial femoral condyle compartment.(2.5 cm area) My new OS said this is a hard area to get into to treat and doesn't heal well., his thinking is maybe more cartilage has broken loose since the surgery and hince the pain and range of motion problems I am having. I had a mri and it didn't show much other than some joint narrowing and fluid, my question is why don't the mri show anything? My first mri before the surgery didn't show much either, but once he did the scope he could see it. Is this an area that don't show up well on mri? Also he is sending me for a ultrasound on the back of my knee to confirm a bakers cyst and to rule out a blood clot, wouldn't I know if I had a blood clot? I figured if I had a blood clot I would be dead or atleast have some bruising. Anyway the ultrasound seems pointless to me. Any thoughts on this or answers to why a mri may not show a problem.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

cdubb

Re: Seen new OS yesterday....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
The ultrasound would be to check for the clot, which an MRI may or may not pick up.  The MRI is only going to check the knee structures mostly and the ultrasound will check all the arteries/veins in your leg.  It's a simple test, so I'd just get it done. The MRI is the more expensive of the two tests.  MRI's also don't show articular cartilage the best.  My pre-op MRI showed a 1x2 cm lateral patellar defect, the scope done in August showed a 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm central patellar defect; however, at my ACI/AMZ procedure last week, the defect was actually 2 cm x 2 cm w/ spurring. So...MRI's are great for ligament and meniscal issues, but not so much for articular cartilage.

Did the doc say if your cartilage issues with the medial femoral condyle are more arthritic or a focal defect.  If it is 2.5 cm, that seems more focal defect and there are several cartilage restoration procedures (microfracture, OATS, ACI, etc.) to possibly help that if that is the issue. 

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
I am assuming they think it is from osteo because I have overuse issues because I am a right leg amputee and have always relied on this one leg. And Thanks for your reply you did help answer my question about cartilage showing on a mri!
Right leg amputee.

cdubb

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about the amputation. My father is actually a bilateral amputee. The left leg is below the knee and the right is his foot and all his tarsal bones.  He's a long term diabetic who has also smoked his whole life...and still does...even after they started cutting off body parts..go figure...

I'm sure being an amputee certainly makes any surgical recovery that may be an option on this left knee much more difficult.  Osteo arthritis can still start with focal defects before it becomes more generalized.  In my case, my defect wasn't caused by any specific trauma, but more a kneecap that didn't track right, but I had a grade 4 defect w/ spurring. So, they also corrected the alignment issue with an osteotomy of my tibial tuburcle done at the same time as the ACI.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
I lost my leg when I was 6, I am above the knee with very little left so wearing a leg is near impossible. I guess my knee has just taken a beating over the years. I am only 33 so I was expecting to get a little more time out of my knee. But, hey life goes on! I am having alot of pain and swelling from the cortizone shot, anyone know if this is normal and how long it last?
Right leg amputee.

support