Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Mri Results!!! Can you tell me what they mean?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline beech03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mri Results!!! Can you tell me what they mean?
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
I was playing football  and i had twisted awkwarkly on my knee, there was a sickening pain and couldnt stand up, after a few minutes of rest i felt like i could carry on but chose not to.
In the morning i couldnt put any pressuse on it at all. There was no swelling or bruising.

It has now been 2 months and i can put pressure on it and bending is fine but i still cant twist on the knee at all without it collapsing. And also i cant keep it in one position for no more that 5 minutes without it aching.

Here are the my MRI RESULTS as of last week, can anyone tell me what they mean?

The medial and lateral menisci are within normal limits.  The cruciate ligaments are intact.  Unremarkable collateral ligaments and extensor mechanism.  Small area of the bone marrow oedema within the lateral fermoral condyle in keeping with the sequelae of trabecular impaction injury

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
Re: Mri Results!!! Can you tell me what they mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
I'll give it a stab.

You're menisci and ligaments are fine. During the injury, you traumatized the trabeculae of the femoral condyle. The femur is the large bone running from the hip to the knee, and the trabeculae are arcs of bone inside the femur that help to evenly distribute pressure. A sequela is a complication of another injury. Oedema is an accumulation of fluid within a cavity of the body. So the bone marrow oedema is a secondary result of the original injury. Generally though, the continued presence of that fluid is as a result of continued problems in that area. Did the doctor have any suggestions as to why that might be the case?

Offline beech03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
Hi, thanks for the response,

i have had my follow up with the consultant and he has said nothing of the fluid build up. He has said as there is no damage to ligaments and cartlidge i dont need surgery. he cant explain whymy knee still gives way and suggested physio to strengthen my knee and and bring the patella. back towards the inside of my knee. Just soft tissue damage.

He basically told me to train hard on it and the physio to do some extensive strenghtening, thing is i have been active on my knee (just walking) so i dont think its a strenth problem, i normally train 3 times a week but havent felt comfortable running on it.

After he prated about using techniques to double check ligament damge it didnt hurt at the time but today my knee is feeling sore. particualy hurt when he pushed my knee in towards my leg

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
Bone marrow oedema / bone brusing is unpleasant and can take up to a year to resolve (I was told at least 3-6 months).  I had extensive bone brusing in my lateral femoral condyle following a fall from my bicycle and was sore especially being around the weight bearing area.  In terms of exercise, I would avoid jogging or running as this puts a lot of impact through the bones as well as any sort of twisting, so stick to the static bike and crosstrainer.  See a physio and get shown the best exercises for leg strengthening, especially the quads, to do until it gets less troublesome :)  I wouldn't do anything that actually hurts the knee
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline beech03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
thanks guys,

i really appreciate your input,

i think ill see how i go with ome light jogging, i dont think the bone bruise is a problem, i have had plenty of them as my other hobby is MMA! and a little pain i can handle, its the stabilty which concerns me, but according to MRI there is no ligament damage or cartlidge damage so i should be fine.

I just have to MAN UP!!!!

Thanks Guys!!!