Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just Dislocated Knee - Treatment Plan Please  (Read 1389 times)

Offline edwardoplunkett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Just Dislocated Knee - Treatment Plan Please
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Per the subject, knee dislocated on the dance floor Saturday night. Tried to get up but of course could not. Saw something obviously wrong with my left knee through trousers and shifted knee cap back in place myself. Was then able to get up with help and drove home. Next morning, lots of swelling and pain so went to A&E and was diagnosed with torn tendon after xray and ultra sound. Knee was imobilised with rigid plaster cast and I am to report back to out patient clinic in a week.

Have been advised to keep knee elevated, and have been using ice packs and trying to stay off it.

What else should I do? Should I try to get a second opinion? Should I try to find the "best" physio in town? How long might recovery take? This is the first time this has happened, but I have had knee pain, in general for a while. Thanks

Ed
It Hurts!

Offline Clav

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Just Dislocated Knee - Treatment Plan Please
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
Hi Ed

Well I have a friend that had the same thing ( dance floor ) but he is 100% fine.. he wears a knee brace everytime he does activity though.

I can tell you my personal experience .. I had my first dislocation when i was 18 years old while playing cricket. I also had lots of swelling and went to the ER unit at local hospital - I was told nothing is wrong with me and sent home. After about a week, my knee still was VERY unstable and i could feel something is not right - I went to hospital - went for scans and ultrasound and they have found nothing ... also strapped my whole leg and put me on crutches for a week.

After that - still my knee was not right but i left it because i was told nothing is wrong with me .. about 5 months after that i walked into a classroom and stepped funny on my foot and bam! second dislocation! Went strait to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. I had an MRI taken and it too showed nothing wrong with me.. I got very negative and told the doc that i dont care wat any of their scans say - my knee does not feel normal.. he decided he will do a scope ( very very common procedure where they make 2 very small holes in you and stick a small camera in to look inside your knee. Well when he did it - he was shocked at my meniscus being damaged the way it was .. he cleaned it up nicely and did a lateral release ( where they slice into your lateral ligament to take the stress off your patella.... Now about 8 months after the operation i played cricket again ... BAM! 3rd dislocation ( that was 2 years ago ) ... I am now scheduled to get a TTT in January ( quite a big operation where they cut the patella tendon where it is attached to your tibia ( shin ) and they place it inwards about 1.5 cm and fix it with screws.

Reason for this is because once my knee dislocated the first time - it will dislocate again more and more easier and easier, Because I have patella maltracking ( when your knee cap does not ride in the groove properly and it pulls towards the side, then with a slight movement it dislocates.)

For you I will recommend a bio kinetics person. Ask your doctor who he/she recommends. And build up your quad muscles on both your leg so that it gives nice support to both your knee caps, preventing them to dislocate.. keep those upper legs strong.. really important.

Good luck and take it easy.. You do not want to end up where I am .. not fun