Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Could I have Arthrofibrosis after 'Medial Plica Excision' & fat pad trim!  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Its will be coming up to one year post op on November 16th after having had my fat pad trimmed and medial plica removed in my right knee. Since having had the surgery feel pain around the bottom of kneecap by the 2 portal areas. When I try to squat feel intense pain behind the knee & at times feel pain at the top of the knee close to the bottom of the quads.

I looked at some information about Arthrofibrosis on KG and the 3 key areas pointed out by a diagram on KG is the area where I feel the most pain. I can no longer run since fall back in October 2007 and each time I try to run feel pain at the bottom of my right kneecap and have most of the swelling in that area. Also feel tightness around the knee if I try to squat.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/632 (may need to click twice on link to get correct page!)

Was woundering if any KG members with Arthrofibrosis have similar symptoms to what I am feeling in my right knee. I will be going to the Pain Clinic on November 30th and maybe could ask if they think it could be Arthrofibrosis. What test would be done to confirm it and if it is scar tissue causing all the pain would a 2nd scope be worth the risk as I am sure I could run again once pain and swelling has gone from the bottom of my right knee.

I had 2 cortisone injections and friction massage a few times but has not really helped and my physio told me I am prone to scarring as you can still clear see the incision areas that have not faded as they should do one year on.

Did try posting on the AF section on Friday but got no response back so think I have more chance on the general section. All I wanted to know is if other members with Arthrofibrosis got it after medial plica excision and do any members with Arthrofibrosis get the same symptoms as I am getting.

Nick :) {2010} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Could I have Arthrofibrosis after 'Medial Plica Excision' & fat pad trim!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
Mine was last august and youc an still see the incisions, sometimes they are white nad sometiems they are red.  When they are red the area is generally a bit irritable but I try not to worry about that too much if it's just on the surface.  How's your cartliage?  It could be the beginning of osteoarthritis.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
Hi There,

I am not too concerned about the incisions that are more red then white, more concerned with the pain I get when I try to kneel and squat and the swelling at the bottom of the knee that should have subsided by now. I will be 1 year post op next week Tuesday.

Another concern of mine is not being able to run anymore and feel I could if I did not have the pain and swelling at the bottom of my right knee. I will be 32 in December and would like to run again before I reach 33, and hope the Pain Clinic can figure out whats wrong and can find out if its Arthrofibrosis or another type of knee problem.

It could be cartliage but do not get catching and locking in the knee so could be osteoarthritis. I am Greenkeeper and spend most of my time outdoors and been in the job now for over 11 years so could have the beginning of arthritus.

Thanks for your reply and information.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:16:42 AM »
Hey Nick,

Did you see this thread?

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=53728.0

The symptoms sound really similar...I just thought it might be worth comparing notes.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:02:44 AM »
I'm afraid I cant be of any help but I am really interested in this thread as I have similar problems and am beginning to wonder if I may also have arthrofibrosis.

I had surgery in June on my right knee and had my hoffa pad removed and my knee has never recovered. I never regained full ROM (not even close!) and still get alot of pain, swelling and heat. I can't walk without limping and certainly cant squat, kneel, bend or run. My knee constantly feels tight and when I try to bend it you can see the tightening and the skin goes really pale (if that makes sense?).

I am awaiting results of an MRI arthrogram but I am not sure if this will show arthrofibrosis? Does anyone know what tests/scans are required to make a diagnosis?

Will be really interested to hear how you get on at the Pain Clinic as I am considering this as my next step.
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
Hi All,

Snowy, thanks for the link and sounds very similar to mine as you pointed out on your post and at least know there are others out there who had the same type of surgery as me and are still have problem one year post op.

Stasha83, sorry you are having problems as well and MRI's do not really pick up scar tissue and the way they found out I had scar tissue was through an ultrsound scan. Sounds like you may also have arthrofibrosis and its hard to find an OS that knows enough about it, and how to treat arthrofibrosis.

I have kept a diary on my blog on KG if anyone wants to have a read and will update it on Tuesday which will be my 1 year post op blog.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2225

There are another 2 blogs to read that I posted in January and April.