Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op TTT (exciting news!) It's long.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
6 weeks post op TTT (exciting news!) It's long.
« on: October 14, 2003, 07:39:37 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in and give everyone a heads up and share my great news.

1.  Got an x-ray, screws look good. I have two small anchors in the top of the patella to secure my quad tendon repair.

2.  OS impressed with LACK of swelling and ability to do SLR with minor lag (atrophy) and minimal effort.

3.  Weaning off crutches (already did that last week...ssh!)

4.  Unlocking brace to 40...well 30 because a simple knee buckle will destroy everything and I'm petrified of that happening again.  He said I could do 30 for time being. Have already improved gait and have confidence at 30 so will try 40 in a few weeks.  I have noticed I have to pay strict attention because I want to turn my foot inwards for some weird reason, maybe the weight of the brace?  Paying close attention will lessen the chance of a stumble so I'm good with that. Also I can use the crutches when unlocking it further for confidence reasons.  I unlock it as my ROM increases. It jumps for 40 to 70....YIKES!  

5.  No leg extensions for a few months, just exercises that involve foot being firmly planted.  Ex. Bike for ROM, mini squats/wall squats.  SLR and off to PT soon for more vigorous torture, lol.  Went to the gym yesterday evening and rode the bike...well rocked pedals back and forth for stretching. Did some SLR then stopped.  Didn't want to overdo anything. Just wanted reintroduce the knee to activity. Okay to do whirlpool after workouts, there is one at the YMCA where I go. Anyone know if that warm water will increase swelling?  ROM currently at 60-65.

I have not been able to do some of these things in over 2 years.  I'm so excited and amped about my new found abilities. I no longer have to "lock" the knee when walking. It feels weird to lock it anyway, can't believe I ever did.  I am practicing my heel toe combo now, it's hard!  Before I was just flat foot planting and knee locking with swinging from the hip.  So much eaiser to focus on gait when the kneecap is where it belongs.  

OS is warning me to take it slow and in another month a simple fall/buckle will not damage anything he did. CAN'T WAIT! Also tells me one day I have to 'jump in the deep end and swim' meaning brace totally off.  Very scared of that.  He did say I could utilize crutches when doing this to ease my paranoia.  :o

Mostly I'm amazed at how much easier things are now.  I couldn't do so many things before and just with things in the knee being where they are supposed to be helps so much.... I know DUH! right?  I know the road ahead is long and rocky, but I wanted to share this with all you patella baja and TTT people.  

OS says kneecap could still fall. All depends on the patella/quad tendon stability. I am doing everything I can to baby it and ease it into mobility again.  For the first time in 2 years I have hope.  He said there will be no magic day to determine whether this will always be fixed, but in about 6 to 9 months if nothing has changed mechanically my odds are looking good.

One more thing, I got my x-rays back and he measured them. From end of patella to tibia (actually to tibia where he moved it up for the TTT procedure, so that's down a bit on the bone) on the good knee it was 52 mm. The baja knee was 30 mm.  So he adjusted 24 mm. I'm thinking he gave me 2 mm to fall unless he wanted me to come back for patella alta problems...lol.  Honestly, I don't know why the numbers don't match.  I see him back in 2 months and am to call with any questions/problems.

Thank you to all of you!  All of you who helped me decide on surgery, explained patella baja, and shared in my dibilating experience.  Without this board I would have never have had the tools to seek out that 3rd opnion or research into my knee issues.  I want you all to know how special you are and what a honor it is to be a part of this board.  

Heather M....I am talking to hubby now about the membership and hoping I can stay on.  I want to for your sake as well as my own. If this is a success, I want to share that with you. You brought me to the board in the first place and I know an open procedure is something that may lie in your future. I want to be around if you ever do it for support if nothing else.  I would just love to give yout he biggest hug in person. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!  ;)

I'll be posting from now on in the PT section probably to update on PT and share what I learn when I start going.  Again, you guys are wonderful.

Heather B.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 08:16:57 PM by Heather »
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: 6 weeks post op TTT (exciting news!) It's long
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 10:42:04 PM »
Heather

Congratulations on your recovery!! Everything is heading in a successful direction. I know exactly how you feel to have a baja corrected and the new mobility that comes with it. I wish you all the best ;D ;D

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 11:56:19 PM »
Aw, shucks, Heather. *sniff*  That's really nice of you to say, but any credit for getting appropriate treatment and kicking this thing goes to YOU.  You were on the board looking for answers, I just kind of nudged you over here--for purely selfish reasons, I might add!  We Baja Broads need to stick together...hehehehehe.

I'm really glad you're doing better.  I know it's a long, uphill battle and it's not over yet, but it sounds like you're doing MUCH better.  When you talk about your patella being moved by CENTIMETERS it really underscores to me that I have to do something about this!  I just don't think a scope is going to help.  But unfortunately I've got a real phobia about having someone break my leg, and I don't know how I could be on crutches that long because I have a badly torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  So essentially, I'd be in a wheelchair, meaning I'd need someone to take care of me.  My family is so burned out on this, I feel like we need to all take a break.  But I'm looking at next summer, I think.  Hopefully I'll be ready by then.  I will need that long to get ahead in my work, and take a dream trip I've always wanted to do--a photo safari in Africa!  I don't actually know how my knee will hold up, but at this point, pain is my limiting factor so I guess I can just grin and bear it.  But I know I can't take pain meds forever, so I do need to find a doctor willing and able to help me.  I've got one more OS up my sleeve, the guy who told me I needed a Maquet procedure a year ago.  I'll develop the nerve, somehow.

I really hope you can stay on the board.  So many people with patella baja are told the pain is all in their heads, that they just need to learn to trust their knees again.  What a load of [email protected]!  So it will be great to have a success story on the board, and someone who can help others when they are still in the timeframe where quick intervention will save the day.

Take care and keep posting, I've been following everything you've written very eagerly.  Once I get my life to the point that I can turn it upside down, I will.  I know this is my last option.....

Heather (Two of Five)

PS I'll give a shout when I visit my friend in S. Carolina....maybe we can meet halfway between?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 11:57:08 PM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 09:36:04 PM »
Heather-
I hope that you have posted this wonderful news in the success stories thread because it really could be an inspiration to anyone who has had to go throught the same type of situation.

I am very happy for you and very proud of you girl!  Keep it up and like your OS said- don't try to do too much too soon.  Sounds like you are on the right track of getting back into the swing of things! ;D

What a wonderful thing to be moving towards full recovery.  I hope that you continue to see improvement every day.  Please, please keep us informed.  I am on the edge of my seat hear!

BIG kudos to you on your remarkable recovery!
(((((YOU GO GIRL!!!)))))

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 04:54:34 AM »
Heather:

I've been thinking of you. Soooo glad you are doing so well. It is great to have hope, isn't it?

You may be turning your foot in to "protect" your quad. I still tend to walk on the outside of my foot and turn my foot funny, and that's the reason they gave me. They say it will eventually correct itself as my quad gets stronger. (It seems like everything will change when I get stronger....will it ever really happen?)

Keep working on your gait! I hadn't walked with a normal gait for over four years. I used to swing my leg out to avoid bending my knee. Now my gait looks much better....not perfect, but better. Everyone tells me I am walking better. Of course, I can't see myself walk, so it's hard to tell. I know I don't swing my leg anymore, but my knee (unfortunately) doesn't feel any different yet.

Please keep us updated on your progress. I know there will be times when you get frustrated and disappointed. We will be here to keep you on track!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 07:05:55 AM »
Hello again,

Too bad all good things are too short lived.  My ROM isn't going any further and unlocking the brace just to 30 and trying to keep that better gait hurts like hXll.  Just having a few bad days now.  Got my referral for PT today so by Monday I can call Tricare and schedule that.  I don't have to go on base thank goodness! I guess I just want to hurry up and get better. So impatient I am, huh? I've waited this long, what's a little longer right?

I will definately share what I learn at PT with everyone here. Maybe I'll have a new and modernized exercise that will strengthen EVERYONE'S quad...lol!  

I'm glad you are doing good Janet. I know it's frustrating and I'm glad you are all here to talk to about it. It means a lot.  I was starting to wonder where every one was. Rarely anyone posts anymore.

It's good to know why I may be turning my foot in. I also noticed that if my brace slides a little it happens, could be the weight of the brace too I guess since it's shifting to that side.

I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for responding. It's good to know you guys are still here  ;)

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 11:27:16 PM »
Heather-

I do hope this ROM set-back is very short lived.  You have come so far.  Maybe it's like you said, and it's just a few bad days.

It sounds like you are still keeping a positive attitude which will help carry you through this road-block.  I know it has been a long haul for you, but you have gotten this far and you should be very proud of your strength & determination.  Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will get brighter & brighter for you every day.

Sometimes impatience equals drive & determination, so it's not altogether a bad thing.

Again, I hope this ROM problem is very short lived and I will keep you in mind and will continue to be here for you, as will all the other wonderful people, through your journey to recovery.

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?