Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 wks post op - Autograft/Lat Release/Scar Tissue  (Read 1216 times)

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
4 wks post op - Autograft/Lat Release/Scar Tissue
« on: October 15, 2003, 02:03:27 AM »
Thing are moving along pretty good.  Tommorow is 4 wks post.  My main concerns are Arthrofibrosis developing again.  I had severe Arthorfibrosis going into my surgery on Sept. 16 on top of the  bone graft and Lateral releaes my OS performed.  I was amazing to see how much scar tissue my OS removed.  I was given CD ROM after surgery with about 20 pictures of the procedure.  I had only about 90 degrees ROM prior to surgey with a severely constricted and tight knee which impacted my gait.  Hopefully over the next two weeks I can get to 110 and then higher with minimal scar tissue development

1. ROM - 90 Degress - seated upright position with leg off table
           - 83 degrees on stomach, leg curl position

2. Swelling is going down

3.  Can almost walk without crutches in locked brace.

4.  Strength and Quads are getting re-educated and VMO is slowly re-appearing.  Lots of muscle stim machine at night along with SLR and quad sets.  

The next 2-3 weeks are key.  Hoping to get to full revolution on stationary bike soon !

Quick note on procedure - I had the bone graft done as my underlying bone in my OCD defect was in bad shape. According to several OS's, this is a good thing to have done prior to ACI -Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation procedure if your defect is deep and bone is not smooth.    I was orginally going the path of ACI procedure, but after serious Arthrofibrosis complicaitons from cell harvesting procedure in Nov-02, we decided to do bone graft and lateral release first.    Hopefully this will be all I need for some time and I can return to sports.  

Dan
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: 4 wks post op - Autograft/Lat Release/Scar Tis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 09:30:50 PM »
Dan-

It is very good to hear that things are coming along well for you.  You are a success story in the making.  Keep up the good work and I hope that you see improvement each and every day! :D

best of luck for continued success!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: 4 wks post op - Autograft/Lat Release/Scar Tis
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 03:07:50 AM »
Dan,

While arthrofibrosis is always a risk after any surgery, it seems like it's much more common with ACI--so just keep thinking positive, using your CPM and doing whatever exercises your doctor lets you.  I hope everything turns out really well.  Sometimes we get scarring because of immobilization or tons of swelling, rather than a genetic propensity, so I really hope you fall into the first group....I'm actually still hopeful that I do, as well, believe it or not.  After each of my early surgeries I had either severe post-op bleeding or severe infection, so my OS said that could easily explain the rampant scarring.  It's not a guaranteed thing to get out of control adhesions, so I just wanted to give you a little hope on that front.

Also, you are still very early post-op, and this is the time that you can positively affect any scar tissue--i.e. break that stuff up!  Does your doctor have you in PT?  Are you allowed to do patellar mobilizations?  Quad sets?  Any little movement would help.

Take care and keep posting--we don't have too many OATS patients.

Heather
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 03:08:28 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support