Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Meniscus Tear with no symptoms  (Read 2529 times)

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral Meniscus Tear with no symptoms
« on: October 14, 2003, 06:09:13 PM »
Hi:  Can someone please explain how it is possible for an MRI to not pick up a lateral meniscus tear and then when the OS goes in he finds one. Also, this tear he found never gave me a problem until he removed the tear portion.  Please explain.
Thanks, as always.

Sheila
Complex Lateral Meniscus Tear, Large Media Plica and Medial Degeneration at the undersurface of the Patella debrided, softening  of the femoral condyle with Grade II degeneration ... debrided

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Lateral Meniscus Tear with no symptoms
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:52:49 PM »
Hey there !!

I did an arthroscopy in july 2000. Before did 2 arthroscopies in 1998 and MRI and bonescan both 98,99 and 2000. When I had the last in july 2000 my os discovered a torn meniscus and did a meniscectomy
and he also find a growth like a band which made that I couldn't move my leg as I should.
There is possible that this could happened. I know more than I.Hope all turns well out.

Hugs Nettan
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 11:15:25 PM »
Dear Nettan:  Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Sheila
Complex Lateral Meniscus Tear, Large Media Plica and Medial Degeneration at the undersurface of the Patella debrided, softening  of the femoral condyle with Grade II degeneration ... debrided

Offline vetmedgirl

• Regular Poster
  • Go POKES!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 01:50:49 AM »
Hey Sheila,

My MRIs didn't show a lateral meniscus tear either, on either knee.  Also five years ago when I had my ACL recon and medial meniscus repair, that MRI showed a lateral meniscus tear along with the medial but when my OS got in there he did not find it. So MRI's don't always catch everything.  Good luck tomorrow at your OS appointment hopefully your OS has good news for ya.  

Angie

PS  OSU - 38   KSU - 34
Rt Knee Torn ACL, medial meniscus, MCL in -Dec 97
ACL Reconstruction, medial meniscus repair-Jan 98
Partial Lateral meniscectomy, Patellar and femoral chondroplasty in both knees - August 03

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 02:31:06 PM »
Dear Angie:  Thanks for your comments.  I guess MRIs aren't always accurate (obviously).  I always thought they were 100 percent (ha ha).   I hope my appt. today with the dreaded OS hopefully turns out better than I expect (I get heart palpitations just thinking about it).  But I think he will just tell me to keep on exercising, blah blah blah, that is if he even comments.  I will let you know what happens.  Have a great day!!!

Sheila  

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 12:38:10 AM »
Sheila-

Well, as others have told you- MRI's are not foul proof.  I had the same experience.  My MRI was negative/inconclusive, however during the arthroscopy, sure enough and just as plain as day the lateral meniscus (right knee) was torn.  It required several anchors to repair it.  The OS didn't remove any because it was in a "red-zone" and therefore stands a good chance of being ok with the repair.

I'm sorry to learn that you are having more problems/pain since the removal.  How long ago did you have your surgery?  Did you start experiencing pain immediately post-op, or did it take several weeks before the pain started?  Could be that there may be some scar tissue that has formed and is causing discomfort? :-[
I hope that this situation is gotten under control quickly as I know how frustrating it can be, as well as many of the other people here do too.

Make sure your OS gets a clear picture of what you are going through.  Please don't let this situation go for too long.  Hope you are feeling better soon!  Keep us posted!

Lezlee
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:40:06 AM by ozzybug »
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 06:32:23 PM »
Hi :  Hope today is a good day for everyone.  Just an update on the dreaded visit with my OS.  When I described my problems which among others are:  can't do stairs to great, pain when sitting and bending knee, pain all over and a rubbery feeling when I bend my knee, he said my problem is weak quad muscles and that I should exercise more.  I told him I have been going to PT for over 2 months (2x weekly).  He said to do more.  I purchased a lateral j brace in his office which I then put on to walk to pt.  When I got there my leg hurt worse than ever--so much for the brace.  He said 2-3 months post op pain wasn't that uncommon.  I said yes it is when you were told it would only be uncomfortable for a week or two.  Anyhow that my story :'(.

Sheila

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 09:14:12 PM »
Sheila-

I am so very sorry to hear of your continued pain.  Kind of makes you wish you hadn't had the surgery performed when you have problems worse than before surgery.

Are you taking any kinds of anti-inflamitories?  Is it possible that you have developed a sinovitis since the procedure?  Or are you having swelling that might suggest some fluid build up?  My second (and current) OS has said that if I happened to develope sinovitis after this procedure, a steroid injection would probably be in order and would help with the discomfort.

I'm still early-on post-op wise, so, right now I'm hoping that I don't develope any sinovitis.  I did after my former OS did surgery and it was rather painful.

Best of luck to you!  Take good care of that knee and do not hesitate to call your OS with any concerns you have.  They don't make the big bucks for nothing.  Please let us know how you are getting along!!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 02:54:39 PM »
Dear Lezlee:  Thank you for your kind words :-*  The only anti-inflammatories I am taking is motrin.  I try not to take too much.  Yes!!  I do wish I never had the surgery as I have said in past posts the pain, etc. is 100x worse now.  Oh well, live and learn.  The OS did mention that if in 6 months I am still having problems to come back and he will give me a cortisone shot as he doesn't want to give it to me now. Which is fine since I am afraid that if I do anything now it will get worse.   The one time I called him they told me to come in to see him--I guess everyone wants to make money.  Re: cortisone shots.  I heard they might also cause problems.  What do you think?  Hope you are well and feeling better.  

Sheila  xxooxx

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 01:09:29 AM »
Well, I can't really speak about cortizone shots causing further problems, but I can understand the logics behind it as it helps to strenghten the tissues, and I guess maybe could cause some tissue thickness maybe?  I'm not really sure.

It would deffinately be a good question to present to your OS.  As with all medical procedures, and cort. shots are a medical procedure, you have to weigh the pros & cons.  I would think that the shots would only tend to cause a problem after long term treatments?

The one thing that i do know about corisone shots is that they are no good for treating torn meniscus.  My OS said they are used for things including sinovitis, chondromalacia, arthritis and a few others- but do no good for torn meniscus.

I really do hope that something can be done to get rid of that pain.  Just make sure exactly why he is going to try cortisone shots before you have one.

Good luck & lots of huhgs
Lezlee

Offline vetmedgirl

• Regular Poster
  • Go POKES!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 01:41:56 AM »
Sheila,

Sorry to hear about your knee.  I had my OS appt. today and he pretty much said the same thing as yours.  He said he wasn't too concerned about my knee cap sliding off laterally, that its probably because my vmo isn't quite working correctly yet. He doesn't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with my knee and he wants to see me back in 4 weeks.  He also said its common to still have pain at 2 months post op, but in four weeks if my knee is still the same he might need to some more detective work to see if there is something that he missed.  I told him I was a little frustrated because I was jogging 10 weeks post op after my ACL recon. and was released to play sports 4 months post op. and right now (10 weeks post op) I am not confident in jogging at all.  He said that it was common especially with how much he had to mess with my patella.  He told me to start back on the aleve twice a day and keep up with rehab.  He did release me from PT so thats good.   Well hope to hear your knee is feeling better and good luck with rehab.

Angie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 01:44:23 AM by vetmedgirl »
Rt Knee Torn ACL, medial meniscus, MCL in -Dec 97
ACL Reconstruction, medial meniscus repair-Jan 98
Partial Lateral meniscectomy, Patellar and femoral chondroplasty in both knees - August 03

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 02:24:10 PM »
Dear Lezlee and Angie:  Thanks so much as always ladies.  Your thoughts and good wishes mean a lot.  

Ladies:  One question you might know.  I am also having a problem when I bend my knee  - it feels rubbery-this has been going on starting thr 3rd week post op.  Would you or anyone out there know what this is.  If so - are there any exercise that I can do to alleviate it?  (my pt thinks it might be scar tissue -- if it is the feeling hasn't gone away!!)  

Hoping you both a great day today.

Sheila

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2003, 11:52:03 AM »
Hi
You will find out a lot about false MRI scans in the book by Grelsamer ("What the doctor may not tell you ..."):
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_10_help/step_10_books.html
--
KNEEguru

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 03:14:02 PM »
Thanks so much. :-*

Offline queenie90247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »
2  and a half weeks ago i had my surgery.  mri showed a torn meniscus medial.
when they went in to opperate he ound a medial tear     later al tear          and   a torn acl
i was like omfg lol
now almost 3 weeks after waitin for  pt to start and im startin to heqr popping noises in my knee dnt know why