Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can certain stretches damage the knee?  (Read 1942 times)

phrank

Can certain stretches damage the knee?
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »
Hi everyone.  I tried searching for a post where if it is possible to cause damage to the knee from doing a certain knee/leg stretch, but i didn't have any luck.  First let me explain my history with my right knee. In 1992 it was dislocated, sept 2008 i had a lateral release and debridement to correct the damage done by the knee dislocated - it was also supposed to fix my knee instability because it would feel like it wanted to pop out at times when i stood and turned in a different dirrection. In Jan 2010, I needed another surgery to correct my knee instability, I had it scoped, had some scar tissue removed, and had the maquet procedure done on it-thats where they extend the tibial tubercle to give the patella more suppor during this surgery the surgeon said my miniscus and acl were fine. I would also like to include that I also suffer from  I.T. Band syndrome which has not been correct by surgery.  In May of 2010 I began to jog, i was doing great, i slowly got up to jogging 3 miles non stop. I was running 5 days a week. Had no pain, just i.t. band stiffness/soreness alone with muscle soreness.  About two weeks ago I was doing a new stretch that a co-worker told me about that would help stretch my tendons and IT Band.  I've done it a few times and it felt good, but the last time I did it which was about 2 weeks ago, it felt fine when I was stretching it, I felt releif, nothing popped, nothing gave way, and nothing felt like it tore,so i sat back done to continue my work, got back up 10 mins later to get something, As i stood up I felt so much knee pain. It was really intense, at one time it felt like it went weak as I was walking on it. My knee felt stable, no slipping of the patella or popping at that moment.  The intense pain slowly went away where it was just mild soreness.  Now two weeks later my knee makes popping sounds  when i get in and out of bed or sitting down and getting up from a chair. When I run it doesnt pop, it feels stable, but i do feel some slight pain and soreness in the front part of my patella, right in the middle.  Or did i just overstretch something and just needs time to heal and will the popping go away?  To nervous to see a doctor about this because I really don't want a third knee surgery and I don't want to stop my jogging because I've lost so much weight. Really bummed out. please help with any ideas...

Here's an example of the stretch I did, although i did it standing up and not sitting down as shown in this photo..
Also when i did this stretch I held on to my ankle to stretch my right leg to the left....

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can certain stretches damage the knee?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:56:22 AM »

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can certain stretches damage the knee?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
i just read this post, knee strengthening doesnt happen overnight, my take would also to be careful.  I think to get the knee strong for everyday living and mobility by being sensible then once this has been acheived and you can then start to test your knee and see how it goes, it it hurts too much then you dont do it epecially those particular stretches you posted, what purpose do they serve? I would think everyday movements would be more beneficial to your mobility. good luck and be sensible :)
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)