Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: This past weekend  (Read 1709 times)

Offline SlowBurn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen & I can't getty up!
This past weekend
« on: October 13, 2003, 08:06:44 PM »
Thanks to all who have written many positive things. And if there's anyone out there who has had a similar experience, please don't let yourself stay afraid of horses. The sooner you are able to get back on, I think, the easier it is to get over that first MAJOR hurdle.  I did ride again yesterday and it was better than last weekend. Last weekend I just walked & tried a posting trot at the end of a 20 min. session but that only lasted a couple of strides. I got a sharp pain right at the front of my kneecap (nowhere near my break at the tibial plateau) It was at the site of one of the incisions. I have 5 incisions and all but one has done fine. The one right smack on my kneecap has been numb with a knot of scar tissue in it. I have been massaging it to break it up and know it has been holding back my flexion. Last Saturday my flexion was at 95 deg. I worked really hard this week, even turned my crutch upside down and rocked the top of my crutch (the part that goes under the armpit) back and forth over the scar tissue and the bump went almost flat! The next day I got up to 135 deg flexion and it didn't have the sharp pain anymore. I've even been able to go down the stairs normal w/o it hurting. What a difference. And yesterday when I got on to ride again I was able to trot w/o barely any pain. It has made such a difference in almost every aspect of moving around. The OS and my PT kept telling me to massage it to break it up but I was only able to do so much w/o it hurting. Is now at the point where it doesn't hurt to massage it and I think it finally has turned the corner. I guess I just needed to wait for it to tell me when it was ready    The riding was great. We walked about 60% of the time and trotted 40%, crossed a creek twice. It was great to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather and it was great exercise for the muscles around my knee and thigh. I have had no pain today (I was afraid I would) and feel pretty good. I hope everyone is doing well, and those who are having a rough time, my wishes that things will turn around. Take care everyone.
P.S. To barn goddess...Yes I was wearing my brain bucket, I never go out w/o it    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FX left Tibial Plateau 08/02/03, surgery 08/08/03, 3 screws & bone graft.  

Pages: 1   Reply  Notify of replies  Send Topic  Print  

FX left Tibial Plateau 08/02/03, surgery 08/08/03, 3 screws & bone graft.