Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Today's knee injury, knee locked & I don't know what it is...  (Read 1027 times)

Offline eck

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Today's knee injury, knee locked & I don't know what it is...
« on: November 06, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »
Hi Folks,

While I'm waiting for the swelling to go down on my knee, I figured I'd post and see if I anyone has some insight on what happened to it.

I am fit and for years, I've been weight training and doing cardio (skipping rope and stairmaster intervals).

I have a previous history of knee problems but I have not experienced anything in a long time (10 years).  When I was a kid, I had some problems but I can't recall what the issue was (I was too young).  In my early 20's, I took kickboxing and had some issues with one of my meniscus (I can't recall what it was exactly, I felt a clicking noise and had some inflammation) -- doing cold/hot baths and some ultrasound work did the trick.

I just started playing squash 3 weeks ago.  While running for the ball this afternoon, my right leg went from bent to completely locked at the knee (straight leg). It felt like the top and bottom of my knee just jammed themselves together so hard right at the kneecap level. I ended up going over my knee and falling down and my knee was extremely painful.

I totally thought I very badly injured my knee but the pain soon went away. I was able to put weight on it and extend it. My knee swelled up right away.  I've taken advil and have been icing it 20 minutes on/20 minutes off so far

The swelling on the outside of the knee is clearly there and its pretty much all over the kneecap. It feels like the swelling inside the knee is causing the motion to be restricted.

I'm guessing I'm going to feel the actual real source of the injury when the swelling goes down enough?

Any thoughts? has this happened to anyone else?

-eve

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
Re: Today's knee injury, knee locked & I don't know what it is...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:36 AM »
if it's locked, the first thing i would think is a torn meniscus
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:57:13 AM »
That would be my guess as well. There's also a possibility of ligament damage, but meniscus damage seems more likely. (If the ligaments are damaged, you'll likely feel some instability once the swelling goes down.)

I would get it checked out by your doc as soon as possible. If you find that the problems don't resolve when the swelling goes down, you'll probably need an MRI to establish what's been damaged.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline nickh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Two years ago I had what the doc  called a "little mouse".  It was a piece of bone floating around inside my knee joint and locking it dead straight for 20 minutes or so whenever it felt like it.  After a while I was fine and ran back out onto the field. 
I didn't have any swelling at all though, so it could be different.  If your knee locks up and then somehow comes right again, it does sound like something could be floating around in there though. 
Mine was removed with keyhole surgery.

Nick