Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain in left knee when extending foot forward  (Read 3092 times)

Offline stickwr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pain in left knee when extending foot forward
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
I am a geriatric male that has discomfort extending my knee forward when walking. My xray and mri came back negative 11 months ago when I had medial pain in my left knee which I believe was caused by the torque of over swinging during golf. After the second injection of celestone in April I managed to rehab my knee to running pain free. When I restarted golf  the medial pain came back. After the third injection of celestone in September I now have pain in the anterior joint of my knee when I extend my foot forward. I can do squats and extend my foot forward with 2 lb weights without discomfort. Is there an exercise program to help or do I need an MRI  to rule out damage to the meniscus?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: pain in left knee when extending foot forward
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
From the sound of it, it seems like the problem recurs when you resumes golfing. Perhaps you should consult with someone about your technique, is there something you've changed that's stressing your knee, and now you could have tweaked something? If you are still having this new pain, then perhaps they need to rescan the knee, and see if you have done new damage. It sounds from your descriptions, that the new pain is in a different location. Is that correct?  I'd hazard a guess that something in your golf technique could have done something to your knee, since the problem stopped when you stopped golfing.

If you could pinpoint the section of the knee where the pain is, such as under the kneecap, or to one side in the front, by the big tendon below the kneecap,  around the back on the left, etc, that is more precise, since the knee is so complex. That gives a better "virtual picture" of where you hurt.

Hope it feels better.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline stickwr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the comment DM. You are correct about golf being the cause of my knee pain. I changed my stance and swing but didn't fell any immediate left knee medial discomfort while golfing.  I first had medial pain in my left knee while running. Very low grande pain but it went away.  The next time I golfed ,a few days later, I got pain in the medial area and realized that my golfing changes were the  problem.  The pain increased when running and because it was in the joint area I had to stop running. I do need a new MRI to find out if I have changes to my knee that are causing pain while extending my leg forward. I have an appointment with my GP and maybe he can approve the xray and mri.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:41 AM »
Hopefully changing your golf technique will make your knee pain go away permanently. You might consider using a neoprene or elastic knee sleeve for some soft tissue support to help with the discomfort, if you think it will make a difference. I think that once you retrain your golf game, and make sure you didn't do yourself any lasting knee injury, you should hopefully not have your pain recur. Using a knee sleeve may help as a physical reminder to be careful of your technique, is my thought, when you golf.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.