Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction - November 18, 2010  (Read 7930 times)

Offline ParisBaby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL Reconstruction - November 18, 2010
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
So I am getting close to the year mark of my surgery and oh how things have changed. I am fully flexed (last check at PT was 160, which is as far as my other leg goes too) and I only have slight pain when I bend it that far.  I think it is because I cannot bend it further enough times during the day for it not to hurt.  I am having a hard time sitting on the floor cross legged for some reason the other side of my knee hurts when I do that, I think it is my hamstring.  I will keep working on that though.  What else?  I have most of my strength back in my quad, I still have some work to do there, but I can carry my almost 2 year old son, feel strong and able.  I still get weird twinges in the back of my knee on the left side, my PT says that is my hamstring and it will go away, my OS also thinks that is fine and he says that I will have twinges for awhile after surgery just as I break up more scar tissue and get more use out of my knee.  And the best part!  I can RUN again!  Not well, or gracefully or for a long time but I ran a couple weeks ago for the first time in over 2 years.  It was such a fantastic feeling that I am so happy I got this surgery.  It is a long process with alot of struggles but I think as long as you dont admit you will ever stop getting better, you can keep going and getting better.  I never said that I will ever give up trying to get back to normal. I never always believed it but I always kept trying.  My new goals are to run more frequently and to keep getting back the strength in my quad. This surgery is a really hard life experience but I encourage other to think about the long road and know that it will make it better, but it will just make it alot worse first.  ;)

Offline helpmeplease

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
Thanks so much for your post-op diary. I'm having my MPFL Reconstruction in December and am sooooooo nervous... It was really helpful reading about everything you've gone through and will help me in my recovery. Any additional tips you have about preparing for surgery or the recovery process would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline ParisBaby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
It is hard to believe it has been over a year, but here I am a year and a half out from my surgery and it is still going well.  I was able to stop PT, I have been working with a personal trainer to get back in shape and I am about give birth to my second child and the knee has been holding up with the weight gain! I am still not super confident in heels, I am better though and I have every expectation that I can get back into it after I have this kid.  ;)

One thing to note: my surgeon did such a great job tightening up my MPFL, it makes my other side of my knee really really stretched out, so I have been having more pain in my outside knee area.  It isnt bad, nothing a llittle massage wont fix, but it is a little weird.

Life is good, I am so glad I had the surgery.

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
I just want to say thank you soo much! I have read your entries and they have given me such hope! I had mpfl and lateral release on both my knees june 20th so I'm only day 26 post op and I've found it soo difficult! I have progressed on a good bit but unfortunately I haven't had physo so has taken me. Longer first PT next monday and first OS app the 30th of july. If you have any tips I would be glad to hear them! As my right knee bends to almost 90 and my left barely moves at all. The right has the most wrong with it to which confuses me? I can't do any SLRs an I am on a zimmer frame but I wasn't given braces or supports to wear all the time. I have a spare brace but I can only support one rather than the other. But well done!! You have been such an inspiration! :):) 
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.
June 2012 MPFL surgery on both knees