Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 9 opps on left knee-7 opps on right knee  (Read 1998 times)

Offline scott.hadley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
9 opps on left knee-7 opps on right knee
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
hello all,i thought i would join this forum as then i might get some answers(not what the surgen tells me) i am a 50 year old and earleir in my life was very very fit,playing rugby semi-prof,i was an england school pole vauler ETC, but for the last 16 years i have had nothing but trouble with my joints,after having multiple opps on both knees i have nothing left for them to take,but the surgeon wants to go back in my right knee and de-bur and  take bone marrow to try(yet again to give me some quallity of life) its not washing with me as if i was 30 years younger i would accept the chance,but my bones have stopped growing so how could this help?? i have to add that i have bone spurs growing in both elbows and an opp on my right elbow resulted in no further extension of the elbow and the total loss of feeling in my hand, suerly the must be some comon demoninator with all these joint problems?? as of now i am going to refuse the opp planned for this monday coming,  thanks for reading this and i hope you all dont get all of the problems i have...SCOTT :-[

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: 9 opps on left knee-7 opps on right knee
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
even as we age, bone will continue to grow to try and protect itself, that's where bone spurs come from - that's the bone ends trying to protect themselves.

Trimming the spurs can stop the pinching of tissues and give you some pain relief. Not a cure, but can make you a lot more comfortable for several years, if you're not participating in sports anymore. If you've had a couple of opinions, and they both say the same thing, and you're miserable enough, then it could be worth considering. Weigh the pros and cons, get at least 2 opinions, at least one by a sports medicine doc preferably, and make your choices.

There's a wealth of information here, use the search engine and your history's symptoms, and see what you can dig up that relates that might be of interest to you.

Not sure what procedure would require bone marrow, not enough detail in your post, but an arthroscopic debridement for the bone spurs alone could make you more comfortable if its demonstrated that there's a need to stop/slow an impingement in the joint. I too would want more information in your position.

welcome to the board, definitely browse the posts, as you find some relevant information, hopefully you'll find some answers to help manage your symptoms.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline scott.hadley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
thanks for the reply,and i am now in a position to elaborate, i didnt have the opp as talking to the surgeon he told me that they(the hospital trust) wouldnt fund this prosedure,so he had called it RESEARCH, he intended to de-bur the joint and drill into the bone marrow to release some into the joint,thus(he hoped)the stem-sells in the marrow would attach themselfs to the stubs of cartilage(i have NON left) and grow as a new-cartalage,now i sort of understand stem-cell work,but its not for me, i was booked for both knee replacement just after my 50 th birthday,but now the powers that be!! wont concider anyone for this untill they are either 65 or have had major trauma so it looks like a wheelchair for me, ???

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
They can do knee replacements in those younger than 65, there just has to be enough medical reasons for it, and if the one hospital won't, you may be forced to travel to find another that will. If you literally cannot walk, then it's a functional issue. Have you gotten a functional assessment from a therapist, to see where you stand with function and their recommendations?

sounds like the doc wanted to do microfracture procedures on your knees to get the damaged spots to scar over, which is a fairly common procedure, and isn't at all experimental or research.

Sounds like you need to get a better doctor, who can get you the right procedures, approved correctly, to get something done to help you.

Perhaps some of the other UK members on the board can help refer you to some of the better knee related clinics in your area or close enough that you could travel to?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.