Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worse by the month  (Read 1733 times)

Offline tornpcl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worse by the month
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »
Starting to get down about all of this. Previously super active- 100mi bike rides, etc.  Tore my PCL speed skating 2 years ago.  Conservative treatment + rehab.  9 months later, worsening pain and recurrent effusion led to PCL replacement, at which point I had no cartilage on half the femur because of subluxation.  More rehab. A few good months, followed again by worsening pain. I've now given up all sports except swimming, yet get effusion & pain with only minor activity (yardwork, walking on my job, etc). Now am losing cartilage on the patella & tibia.  Will be getting a PCL brace later this week, with knee replacement if that doesn't work. Trying to stay upbeat, but having a hard time, both due to pain and limits on activity

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
Re: Worse by the month
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
Hi there,

I really feel for you, it must be hard to have been so active and now be experiencing so much pain.  Stay strong, I know it's difficult sometimes.  I got very down for a good while after my surgery and the only thing that helped me was to list all the things I could still do.  To think that there are always worse situations out there works for some and not for others but for me it made me appreciate what I did have.  It might be a long road for you and I don't know what the outcome will be but I hope things get better.  You've got a whole load of 'kneepals' here to rant at if things get too frustrating. If nothing else we can at least understand your frustration!

All the best, Annie.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline MyraJade

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Worse by the month
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:30:12 AM »
i kno what u mean i play basketball and i was the best on the team, ran the fasted, dribbled the best, could shoot amazingly, but then my knee started hurting like crazy, and started to swell from walking too much or whatever so i went to the doc and he said i had to quit basketball... which i stared to cry and it wasnt good at all.... and i had to miss a whole season which really ticked me off then i got surgery last january and it didnt really hurt that bad so in apirl i started playing softball and everything was fine... then this september i started playing basketball again and it hurt so bad to run, and i was out of practice on dribbling and shooting and now its november and im goin to the doctor in a week for my knee that feels like some is just trying to rip my knee cap off completely when i run, but my dribble is good and my shooting is awesome so stay determined and you can still do the things u wanna do  :)