Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Natalie's Fulkerson / TTT With complications! (Open Patellafemoral Realignment)  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Natalie's TTT - (Open Patellafemoral Realignment) With complications!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
That's awesome Mermaid.  And don't feel guilty just celebrate!  I am hoping to be as lucky as you on Monday when I have my ACI surgery.
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »
Mermaids, I understand what you're saying. At 4 weeks, I feel like sorta bad for having as little pain and as much mobility as I do. It's sort of ridiculous how easy this surgery has been for me. I remember hating myself at 4 weeks after my last surgery, though. So this is a walk in the park considering the pain I was in at 4 weeks last time. I've been slightly sore on and off but nothing horribly bad. Considering everyone else's stories I feel like we've managed to hit the jackpot!

'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

Offline red1702

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
Morning everyone,
I hope you all had a pain free weekend!
Mermaids, don't feel bad, I'm really happy for you that you've had a good surgery experience! Like you say, this kind of surgery isn't for everyone, and there might be different recovery times for different people.
Melissa, I had a TTT because since I was 2 years old I have had constant pain in both knees when walking long distances, riding a bike or standing for more than an hour at a time. My parents used to stay awake with me at nights for years with cold wash cloths and refridgerated baby lotion to try and ease the burning pain I was getting. It wasn't untill this year I was told I had a severe tilt in both knee caps due to a malignment of the tibial tubicle. My parents (at the point of dispair by the time I was 6) and I had been fobbed off for 14 years being told I was suffering growing pains, then I was told I had bursitis, and inflammation of the lubricating tissue between the joints. I was told that surgery would be a good option for me and was asked to make a decision as to whether I wanted it or not. On the 19th of August, I told my OS that I would have the surgery. By the 21st September I was on the operating table.
All the best with your surgery today! Keep us updated.

Last night was another bad night. I woke up in absolute agony and couldn't move my leg at all. Sort of bored of the pain now, but I have to wait another 11 days to see my OS for my 8 weeks check up. 7 weeks post surgery tomorrow, and I am still extremely limited to what I can do. Since last night's episode, I am back on crutches completely, whereas before I was managing getting around without them.
I feel so massively let down in terms of aftercare.
Natalie xx

Offline red1702

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »
The past few days havenít been good ones (in terms of pain), to say the least.
For some reason, I find that as soon as I start stressing about something, even the tiniest bit, I end up in absolute agony. Most likely just a coincidence.
This weekend I think I must have over-done it as I hosted a party for Guy Fawkes on Saturday and was very busy during the days leading up to it, cleaning and preparing food and clearing the garden for the fireworks etc. Saturday night I got just a little tipsy, but managed to stay upright and I wasnít in any pain until Yesterday evening, when I started to get the familiar burning sensation in the left side of the knee cap. In the early hours of this morning, I woke up to find myself literally crippled by the pain, crying and begging my sleepy other half to find me some painkillers. He couldnít find any so I settled for having my hair played with and a comforting hug until I fell asleep again. For someone who doesnít do sympathy, heís pretty good at making me feel better!
I found it really difficult to get up this morning, more so that usual, having been awake all night and the fact that even though Iíd had my leg elevated all night, my knee was really swollen. When I tried to get out of bed my leg felt really weak and I found myself clinging to everything in sight in order to get to the bathroom.
Luckily, my colleague picking me up for work had overslept by 40 minutes, so I had plenty of time to go slowly! Gary (my boyfriend) managed to find me a neoprene (wet suit like) sports injury support for my knee and I felt a little safer with it under my brace. More than ever, I canít wait to get out of the brace; itís like a cage for my leg! The bruises on my other leg from where I sleep on my side have raised more than a few eyebrows. The inside of my left leg its several shades of brown and purple, from the constant pressure of the brace of the right leg. :(
Also got some bad news at work this morning Ė My office is being moved back upstairs because there isnít room downstairs anymore, so I will have to go up and down a flight of stairs when I want to use the bathroom or kitchen. I work in a double stacked port-a-cabin, which means the stairs are outside, and with the wind and rain and freezing weather, combined with my unsteady movement on the stairs, has me very concerned. The stairs are metal, as are the handrails, and I am worried that if the rails are wet, they will be slippery and I might fall. Too scared to mention my concerns to my boss who has already bent over backwards and offered me an extended contract to go part-time until Christmas, knowing Iíll have such difficulty finding another job.
My support network of friends has disappeared. I guess they got bored of me never being able to go out, although I havenít seen most of them since I had the surgery. I literally havenít heard from most of them in seven weeks. Feeling pretty alone right now and Iím really not sure where to meet new people and make new friends. I know Gary must be getting sick of me being so reliant on him for company, although heíd never say anything. We donít actually live together, as we both live with our parents, but itís only about a quarter of a mile between his home and mine so Iíve practically moved in. Poor boy.
Well thatís it really, more of a diary entry than a blog post but it helps a little to have my five minute rant.
Sorry to offload.
Lol.
Natalie xxx

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
Natalie, I hate when I overdo it and I pay for it later. It's not cool. You've just got to keep reminding yourself you're post-op. It sucks, yeah...but it's not an easy recovery.

Offline red1702

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »
Iím not entirely sure why, but last night in the early hours of the morning I woke up wincing with pain again. Iím not doing anything different to what Iíve been doing for the past seven weeks, so I canít understand why I am suddenly in pain again. My knee joint is still really hot and swollen but I know thereís no use going to A&E as they will just turn me away again. Thereís still another 9 days until I see my OS and Iím at the point of despair.
On a more positive note, I can now manage a SLR although itís incredibly painful! Painful progress is better than no progress at all.
This experience has made me too scared to have my other knee done. When my OS offers for me to go on the waiting list, I genuinely donít know if Iíll accept. Iím not sure I can just give up another 3 months of normal life.
All in all, Iím feeling a little low.
Nat xx

Offline red1702

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Well, another sleepless night, but less pain this time. It was the constant sweating that kept me awake.
Bearing in mind it was at freezing point here last night and my central heating goes off at 9pm, and my duvet is 4.5tog (really thin summer duvet) I couldn't stop sweating. I ended up changing my tshirt because it was soaked through. Not nice.
I spoke to my friend Charlotte, the one who had her op on the same day as me, as she had her OS check up yesterday. She has been having the same difficulties as me with achieving bend, and the OS told her they may have to bring her back in, put her under general anaesthetic and manipulate full ROM.
Sounds awful to me, and quite frankly I'm sure we could both do without that extra pain! Still, she is slowly being weaned off of the crutches and out of the brace, and I am hoping when I see him in 8 days I will be allowed to do the same. Fingers crossed.

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
Hi Red,
Congrats on the SLR! I can really relate to it being painful though. I am now 10 weeks post op and I still find it very painful to do, but I know I have to do it so I push through. What is your ROM at now? I only have 33 degrees flexion and I've lost full extension as mine is at 8 degrees. Its really frustrating isn't it? I'd be mentioning to at your OS appointment you are getting burning pain. That's what I got and it hasn't let up at all on its own. Its horrible. Like you it wakes me up or keeps me up through the night. Make sure the OS doesn't fob you off like mine did. As it turns out mine is nerve pain and they have given me a different type of pain killer to help with the pain which makes it bearable.

I'm sorry you are having a bad time, I can empathize completely. Keep posting on KG, you never know you might find someone who lives near by. I did just this week and we met for coffee, it was great to meet her!

Good Luck, chin up.
Kat
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
Manipulating ROM while you're under sounds horribly painful for when you're finally awake. Eep!

I'm sorry things are going badly for you. I wish I knew what to say :( It's hard to imagine the pain that you and Kat are going through right now. It makes me feel fortunate for having such a ridiculously easy recovery, all things considered.

Keep forging ahead. As my mother always says to me "this, too, shall pass."

Offline red1702

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Good Morning Ladies...
Today is a very, VERY good day.
The usual no sleep, agonising burning pain kept me awake all night, and Gary too, but this morning whilst sitting at my desk, I noticed that my knee cap was aching a bit. When I looked down, without realising it I had 80degree flexion! The muscles feel a lot weaker now and my general getting around isn't as strong as it's been before, but I am finally getting closer to being on target and I'm so excited.
I'm really aching in my hip, and my ankle is still bruised and a little tender, but the swelling looks like it's starting to sudside in my knee joint. It's still painful to the touch just on top of the patella, like it's really bruised or something, although I cant see anything wrong. What I can see is red blotches, a bluish tinge to the skin on the inside of the knee joint and some nasty black hair around the scar which grows back the next day after I shave it  ??? The sensation is a little like when you have cold feet and you get into a hot bath; it's hard to describe really, not your average burning sensation. Even my toenails are fed up, they are really brittle and look a little like hobbit toes. So sexy! That coupled with the fact the my hair seems to be escaping me in large handfuls makes me think I might need a little pick-me-up. Generally have a very unhappy immune system!
Still, I'm feeling good today, even though I am aching and sore, but it's not raining here today so I'm happy. The sun is shining, although it's about 6degrees, but I find when it rains I end up really sore.
Strange but true.
Thanks for all your support and encouragement, I'm doing so much better thanks to everyone's kind words!
xxx

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
Anesthesia can make your hair fall out for a while.  Unless it is coming out in clumps, no need to worry. 

For a while, I was too squeamish to shave too close to the incision or the blistered area.  (I had an allergic reaction to the steri strips and developed some really nasty blisters around the incision.)  Two months later, I think I have finally gotten rid of all those stray hairs around the incision. 

You should mention all of these issues to your OS.  It may be indicative of dietary deficiency or something else or it might be perfectly normal.  I always believe in letting the doctor know everything that is going on.  My OS is strong believer in effect of diet after surgery. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
Hmm, your symptoms sounds similar to mine. I'm a tad worried for you. Be sure to mention ALL of your symptoms to the OS. Write them all down so you dont forget (a little tip another clever Knee Geeker told me *couch thanks Duckie cough*). I have started a home diary of my own describing the days symptoms, pain level, the drugs I took that day and my activities for the day. Mermaids, told me to do this so I can keep track of things and its a great idea, I should have done it sooner. Google CRPS or RSD, I'm not trying to diagnose you, but just compare what you have to this condition and see if there are many common factors. You may find it interesting. I also put a link to a good website on my thread that you might find helpful.

I know the feeling of the burn all to well (I too described it as a cold feet vs hot bath sensation at first, now mine feels like a third degree burn at times!). The fact that you have the blotching skin worries me because they are the two symptoms I had first off. My OS wasn't really interested enough to look into it and fobbed me off. It was by sheer chance I was sent to a Neuro and he picked up the CRPS. My quad muscle has wasted so badly, the OS was at a loss to explain it so he sent me to the Neuro to assess whether Botox would help. The idea was to paralyze the outer quad so the inner atrophied quad had to do more work, hence making it stronger. I went to the Neuro and he checked me out and told me Botox was not the answer.

When you take the  painkillers does it relieve your burning pain or just other pain you have? Because mine is nerve pain, ordinary pain killers are pretty ineffective. I had a bad day yesterday and had already taken my nerve pain killers in the morning. Come afternoon I was in alot of pain so I took 2 Codeine tablets which did zip for my pain. I just had to tough it out. BTW, you got to love the hair patch hey? I have one too all around my incision and on my knee. Sexy!

Do you access to a GP? I know the public system over here (Australia) can be a bit frustrating at times, I imagine things are no different from what you've posted. Maybe you could go see them and they can rfer you to a Neuro. I know over here, that can be done.
Sorry to hear about your office situation, I can empathize completely. The idea of crutches, wet stairs and the weather would scare the living daylights out of me. I don't envy you at all! Maybe you can get a doctors cert. specifying you cant manage stairs? I know, its hard if you don't want to create waves at work..  Been there, done that!

Congratulations on the ROM though, thats one small victory!!
Hope you are feeling ok. I know its really hard to stay positive when there are so many things you have to cope with on a daily basis, all while sleep deprived. Just know you are not alone.

Kat xx
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
Nat, I hate what happens to my body after being put under. It's this weird phenomenon. I get horribly dry skin and feet (not something I'm ever plagued with), my nails get brittle and I have really weird hair growth/loss. My hair also loses a lot of it's curl and bounce (haha, I'm such a shampoo commercial.) I had to deep condition my hair after my last surgery to get it back to it's normal poofy-ness.

As for the skin and nail issues...that wasn't solved until that lovely boyfriend *cough* of mine bought me a spa pass for a day of pampering for Valentine's Day. I was able to get a full body scrub (lemongrass with walnut and sea salt...mmm) and a full body massage along with a mani/pedi to get rid of the nasty skin build up and scary nails. Soo nice.

Funny story about that full body scrub...they weren't lying about full body! The maseuse was hilarious. She scrubbed me top to bottom and even got my butt and boobs...but when she got to my stomach she asked if she could touch it. I was like "uhhh..." I mean, really! Of all things.

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
I think a massage should be prescribed after surgery.  My scope in June was a nightmare.  I had horrible bruising, swelling, and pain.  (Ironically, the TTT has been SO much easier than that silly little scope.  Go figure.)  Anyway, I was having trouble sleeping due to the pain.  I had muscle spasms in my neck from sleeping in odd positions.  A few weeks after the scope, we took a trip to the beach.  6 hours in the car left me barely able to move.  As we were checking in, I saw a sign for the hotel spa... massage.  I signed up immediately.  It was crazy expensive, but worth every penny.  He worked out the spasms in my neck, the tightness in my back, etc.  It was remarkable how the pain in my knee lessened once the rest of my body was relaxed. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
Mermaids, I had the massage approximately 6-7 weeks after my surgery in January. At that point I was having lumbar pain and cramps in my hips from the weird gait I developed. He was amazingly generous in how much he paid for this gift. I think the body scrub alone was $95 for 45 minutes. However, it was worth every penny. My skin has never been so soft and my body felt SO good after the massage. I'm actually going to ask for that as a Christmas gift and then go with my aunt. She just had foot surgery and has a gift certificate to go from her birthday. She'll need one, too! It can be the "post-surgical girls day out!"

I highly recommend it to anyone that's having skin issues or back pain after the surgery.

support