Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My Nov. 3rd patella ACI/AMZ (aka TTT or Fulkerson)  (Read 79411 times)

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: My Nov. 3rd patella ACI/AMZ (aka TTT or Fulkerson)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
KG, thanks for the belt trick. I'll give that a try before spending money on one of the leg lifters at the pharmacy.  I just want to figure out how to do things for myself without having to ask for help...even though my husband I know is more than willing to help and actually is getting frustrated with me doing things without asking him to help.

Let me know if I can pass on any other tip or tricks...I'm full of them!

I have been through 3 Fulkerson's and a PKR all whlile living alone - and going straight home each time.  I did have someone at my house for one night after the PKR (mom) but sent her home the next day...just would rather not have help.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

cdubb

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »
Wow KG...3 Fulkersons and a PKR all while managing by yourself.  I'm sure you are a pro at getting by.  I've figured out the putting food in a bag trick and then crutching to where you will eat.  Now, I'll try the belt trick...gotta find the right length belt.   And I thought I was doing well by the way I've managed so far (granted, it's only been one night).  Somebody else told me that days 3-7 were worse than days 1-2 for him. 

Any tips on getting in/out of shower (in a bathtub). I have a shower chair in there already, but it's getting in that concerns me.

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
If you can figure out a graceful way to get into the tub I'll be proud. I still have trouble! I go by the philosophy or "whatever works" in that case. Honestly, I didn't shower properly for 7 days because I was so scared. I washed my hair in the kitchen sink and took sponge baths. Ick. I hated it.
'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

cdubb

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
I bought a hand held shower thing that hooks onto the faucet because our shower head doesn't unhook like a lot do.  So, I may be able to control the spray better than it just raining on my head.  I am not going to attempt until tomorrow...maybe later... My husband has already been very clear to not even attempt to shower unless he is home.  My husband is paranoid about things because his mom was in a car accident when he was very young leaving one half of her body paralyzed (kind of like a stroke vs. a paraplegic).  Two times in his childhood they ran out for quick trips to Diary Queen or the like and once when they got back, she had fallen and cracked her head wide open and once she had sliipped in the bath with the water running on crazy hot and she ended  up getting scalded with severe burns.  So...he is paranoid..and he is also diligent about changing tires on cars because I think the car accident she was involved in was on a rainy day with older tires.  So, I'll try to respect his wishes and only shower when he's home.  At least in the beginning until I've done it several times. 

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
I talked to the therapist today about showering and she said to keep the brace on while showering until I am comfortable not having it on.  She said at least the first two weeks.  So I already purchased one of those cast protectors for the whole leg.  It was only $20 bucks or so, figured it would save some hassle.
Has any of your doctors told you to try and sleep on your stomach the first night after ACI?  That is what my doc said.  To try to sleep on my stomach as much as tolerated the first night to let gravity help those cells.  I thought it was wierd and will probably be totally unbearable but I am going to try.
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
Cdubb, my Mommy bought me a handheld shower head for my shower here ;) But when I was at my aunt's I didn't have that luxury. The shower also had sliding glass doors. THAT was a nightmare.

We're really paranoid about me and showers because I don't have a good track record already. When I was 8 my mom had sliding glass doors on the tub and I was getting out...I had one leg in and one leg out and I slipped and fell on the shower door rack. I had to be rushed to the hospital because I had internal and external tears in my you-know-what. Lots of blood...and stitches. On my birthday. NOT what a little girl wants to have happen to her. Then a few years ago I went to take a quick shower before a work meeting (I was an RA in a college dorm) and I slipped getting into the shower and slammed my face into the corner of our tub. I chipped a tooth and had a minor concussion.

Good think my mother didn't name me Grace.  ;D

Melissa, I didn't have an ACI, I just had the AMZ procedure. However, I found sleeping on my stomach more comfortable after the first few days, but my back was hurting from laying around all day in a bed. Now I flop and twist like everyone else. But I'm 4 weeks out. As for keeping the brace on...that grosses me out. You need to wash your leg after you get the stitches out so that you don't get bacteria and ingrown hairs...I had a horrible problem with ingrown hair because the brace screws up your hair follicles. Weird, right?

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
OK...Getting in the shower..There was nothing graceful about how I went about that task.   Keep in mind I have always been WBAT (actually FWB) after the Fulkerson's and PFJR (PKR).  I never had to maneuverer the NWB thing.

I never used a medical shower chair...I used a molded plastic 2 step step-stool made by Rubber-made (Sold at Lowes and Home Depo in the U.S.).  It cost a fraction of a medical shower chair, sits higher,  and was far more sturdy. 

I would put the stool in middle of the tub - kind of toward the back.  Get in wearing the brace and rest bad leg on the edge of the tub resting on a folded towel - Keeps you from having to get the bad leg all the way into the tub or figure out how to get it out,.  Then I would scoot the stool back to a comfy position,  take off the brace and crutches just outside the tub well within reach.  Once done with the shower I would dry the bad leg before I ever got out of the shower before ever getting up off the stool put brace back on!  I kept 2 more towles close by...one on a hook next to the tub and one on the closed toilet seat to dry the rest of me off with.  At this point I was able to get up and use the crutches that were within reach to get myself out of the tub.   Again, there was nothing graceful about my process but it has worked well for me.  My mom was here for the 1st shower after my PFJR b/s she was worried...no big deal.  It just took a long time!

Other things that make life easier...

www.Crutchbuddies.com - I have had a pair of these for years.  LOVE THEM and the pocket is fantastic!

You have the right idea about how to carry food.  I put everything in z-lock bags or storage containers then in a plastic bag and away we went.  Backpacks are great too..I was in my office often on crutches.

I would put my coffee in travel mugs - I can't live with out my coffee.

I slept on the sofa for a LONG time.  I actually bought my family room sofa for my PFJR.  It is a power reclining sofa that is almost as comfy as my bed.

Benadryl helps the itching from pain meds and is what I was given to help me sleep in the hospital.

I had a 2nd set of everything downstairs...toothbrush, hair brush...ect.  Sometimes you just don't feel like going to get something.

Thats what I can think of right now...Good luck and if you have questions let me know!

Karen 

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

cdubb

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »
Melissa,
I was not told to sleep on my stomach and there is no way I could swing that...I am a back sleeper.  I just can't get comfortable on my stomach, plus I would think that it would hurt being the fact there is a huge incision down the center of my knee.  I can't wait to see it tomorrow when I get to take the dressing off.  If I couldn't have taken the brace off for showering, I was going to get the cast bag. 

KW,
You were FWB after your Fulkerson's? Interesting... I guess I won't panic too much if I accidently put too much weight on it then because my WB protection is because of the osteotomy, not the ACI.  I did buy a crutch bag and it couldn't be installed on the crutches because it required a hold all the way through the crutch to install with a wing nut, but mine have these red adjustable plastic pieces instead of wingnuts.  When my husband returned it, he found one that fit. It's not as nice and it's just black, but it'll work to put a travel coffee mug in or a bottle of water. I also bought an over the shoulder style purse to be hands free when I'm out and about.  It's a Vera Bradley hipster style.  I moved all my toothbrushes, shampoo, razers, facewash, etc. down to the bathroom on our main floor since it's right next to the guest bedroom and I'm just camping out on the main level guest room until I am ready to maneuver stairs and I won't take up too much room in the bed.  We only have a queen and I'm 5'11" and hubby is 6'2", so we're not small people. Add my giant a** brace and it wouldn't work. 

I'll update you all after I attempt my first shower tomorrow! Maybe I'll even post a picture of my incision!

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »
Hi there Courtney! (Cdubb)

Sounds like you are getting along well, that's fantastic news. I too had a rough period from day 5,6 and 7 and that was when hubby went and hired a wheelchair coz getting to the bathroom (loo.. haha, I'm always gonna think of you now  ;)) was murder. I was crying in pain by the time I got back to the couch, it was nasty. I was only on Oxycodone 5mg and Voltaren , so maybe I didn't have enough pain relief. Sounds like you are kitted out in that department! My hubby lifted my leg up and down for at least the first week I think, before I was able to use my other leg. BTW how is your other leg feeling? I took also found the tie from my bath robe (or dressing gown in Aussie language) was handy. Otherwise I'd grab the lowest strap on the brace. Have you had the blood rush feeling?

I can relate to the intense pain from quad contraction. I didnt want to even attempt it due to the pain.. my thinking was if it hurts, dont do it! Mind you then my quads shut down and didn't bother returning from their vacation for another 5 wks. LOL  :)

Duckie, now with a name like Duckie, how can you have so many accidents involving water??!! The pool ladder, the shower x2.. hmmm..
Courtney, (cdubb) I agree the shower can be a dangerous thing. I had a near fall and luckily hubby was next to me and caught me before I went over. This was about 1 wk post op. so Yes, if you have the option to wait til your hubby is around, its a sensible thing to do. Sorry to hear about your husbands story though.. very sad.  :'(

Good Luck with your upcoming op Melissa and welcome aboard. We'll all be following your journey.  ;) I woud think you'd be pretty informed about what to expect and what you can do/use to make it easier post op. If you need any tips just ask.. we're all happy to help  :)

KW, you're my hero, well you and Crankerchick.. doing it alone.. holy cow!! I couldn't have dreamed of that, and multiple times.. you must be a strong person, very admirable. I wasn't really left alone all day til about week 6 and even then I was really nervous. At wk 4 post op, hubby had to return to work but my teenage boys were on school holidays, so that was good. I remember the 1st night shift hubby did, my boys were hm but I was so anxious, coz he wasn't there to help me get in and out of bed to go to the loo. We have a really high bed and I'm short so getting into it without help was nearly impossible as I had no control over my leg (couldn't do SLR til 6wks), I gave up and slept on the guest bed ensemble that was alot lower and haven't left since! 

12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

cdubb

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:47 AM »
End of post op day 1

Well, I made it through my day.  I kept up on pain meds to stay ahead of the pain and have been faring rather well.  My hubby did end up going out and picking up one of the leg lifters, which has been extremely useful.  It just loops around your foot and you can pul your leg right up.  Well spent $20.  I didn't leave the house at all, but just stayed on the couch or guest bedroom bed. I am tired and getting ready to go to bed shortly after I finish up icing this last round and attempting to go to the bathroom again...the anesthesia has caused urinary retention.  Kind of embarassing to type that, but it is incredibly frustrating.  I feel that I have to go, I sit down and a trickle comes out and that's it!  I try running water with no avail. I've increased my fluid intake because that is supposed to help, but I just can't go more than a few drops!    I've experienced it after a spinal and it is a known side effect from a spinal, but I didn't know it could happen with a general anesthesia.  When I spoke to my docs PA, she adviesd that it can happen from general and if it doesn't resolve soon, they I may need to go to an urgent care to be catheterized...fun stuf!! 

My left leg/calf is also quite swollen and tight. I also keep getting numbness in my foot.   Anyone know if this is normal and is it just fluid that is displaced from the knee down into the foot/ankle?

Kat,
My right knee is actually just now getting a bit sore.  It felt fine until just about a few hours ago.  I always  have to remember to ice that one also because while it was just a scope...it still had a surgery.

Well...I'm going to try and empty my bladder one more time before I try sleeping.

cdubb

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
Start of Day 2 Post op

Well....I have been unable to urinate all night still and I am starting to get belly pain now....so my docs PA told me to head to ER or Urgent Care for a likely catheterization...yikes!!! 

Other than that issue, I am managing okay.  Knee swollen and foot still numb from knee swelling, but pain is under control with Oxy and Norco.

I'll update again later, as I get to also take my dressings off today!

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
Cdubb, oh noo! That sounds terrible. :( I hope things get better once that's over with. Take a picture and post so we can see your scar! I'm always fascinated by that stuff. I noticed that my left foot would get tingly, but not numb. Be careful with that, it's a sign of nerve damage.

Kat, you'd think I'd have a much better nickname after all that. I actually have a few nicknames that follow me around. I used to sing the Sesame Street song to my friends to annoy them. Well, the name stuck and followed me through high school and college. My close friends call me "Duck" now. Adam actually doesn't call me Duck, he calls me "Nin." It went from a joke in junior high (yes, we've known each other a very long time) where they called me Courtaninny. That turned into Ninny, and now it's just "Nin." It's better than the inside joke between him and his brother...in which I am sometimes referred to as "Chutney!" loudly and and with great enthusiasm.

Boys.  ::)

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »
Courtney:
So sorry to hear that you are having to go to the ER.  That definietly sucks.  I hope you get that problem resolved.
I would tell them about your calf pain and numbness too.  It could be a sign of a blood clot forming.  They told me in my pre-op appt to report any significant calf pain and numbness.  They also said if my foot was getting numb or losing color it might be as simple as loosening my dressing. 

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks guys for the welcomes!  I plan on doing my own diary soon.  I think I am going to put my brace on today and practice with my crutches around the house.

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage

cdubb

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Okay, back from Urgent Care.  They catheterized me...what fun! Worst part is that they sent me home with it strapped to my leg!  They said that 95% of people if they just drain the bladder are back 12 hours later.  So, I need to keep the bag strapped to my leg and the foley in until tomorrow morning when i will return to my pcp to have it taken out.  The foot numbness is due to swelling, my calf and foot are pretty swollen.  Overall, pain wise, I am managing okay. I think I can start to reduce narcotics, but then I remember that I've been told that days 3-7 are worse than 1-2 for some people. 

I did just take my dressing off and will post a pic if I figure out how.  It's still has the steri strips on, but it is a decent size incision.

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Courtney
I guess you are at least more comfortable now after them draining it?  Or maybe not, it is never comfy having that catheter in.
Hoping I won't have this fun complication.
Hang in there!
Melissa