Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My Nov. 3rd patella ACI/AMZ (aka TTT or Fulkerson)  (Read 79419 times)

cdubb

Re: My Nov. 3rd patella ACI/AMZ (aka TTT or Fulkerson)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Surgery day has arrived!

It was scheduled 6 weeks ago, so I thought it would never get here.   It is now 7 am and I actually slept decently well considering the days events ahead of me.  I did wake up withh a slightly unsettled feeling in my stomach. I don't know if it nerves or hunger!  Against my better instincts, I didn't eat before bed because I just wasn't hungry, so now I haven't eaten since dinner at 6:30 pm.  Normally, I'm not a huge breakfast eater and often skate through to lunch on just my coffee, but when you know you can't eat, it just makes you that much more hungry.  Of course my 4 year old is sitting next to me munching on a donut that smells awfully good while the coffee is brewing as well!  *Sigh*

I have to be at the surgery center at 11 am, so I have about 3 hours before we need to leave.  I have some last minute things that I want to pick up and do around the house, but mostly, I think I am as ready as I am going to get.

I know that the next few days and weeks will be decently difficult, but I am looking forward to having a knee that will permit me to get through my normal daily activities and perhaps even allow me to play a little bit of recreational tennis or softball!

I will try and update later tonight, but it may not be until tomorrow depending on how things go.

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
Good luck! I'll be thinking about ya all day.

Sorry about the food :( You should have gone for that midnight snack like you said last night!  ;D
'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
Good luck!!!!
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »
I was thinking about you on the way home from my Neuro appt, it would have been close to the time you'd be starting your day and getting ready for your surgery. I hope you are coping ok now you are on the other side. Will check back later to see if you have posted. xxx  :-*
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 02:21:19 AM »
I saw that Cdubb posted on Facebook...she's out of surgery and home resting. Everything went well! I won't steal her thunder, though ;)

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 03:12:31 AM »
Oh, that's awesome.. I'll be checking back later to see if she's dropped by.

About traveling, I haven't even been out of my state.. so sad.. never been on a plane.. yeah, really deprived, I know. It's what happens when you marry at 18 and fall pregnant with twins 5 wks later!!  :o

If you ever make it over here, you have to do the Margaret River Wine Region, and the Forests down south.. absolutely magnificent. I'd live there if hubby could get a transfer, in a heartbeat. The Kimberley region is pretty spectacular, with the gorges and all, but its really hot up the North end of Western Australia. I'm not a wino, but I love going to the wine region, its listed as one of the 4 top destinations in the world!  ;)

We'll just all have to keep playing Lotto hey??!! (don't laugh, my neighbor won 4.2 million 4 yrs ago!!)
5/10 - Referred to OS
9/10 - TTT with LR

cdubb

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:22 AM »
Surgery day events

I arrived at the Surgicenter at about 10:50 am for my 11:00 am check in time, completed the check in and then waited and waited and waited in the waiting room with my husband (and tons of other people also).  A women calls me back at about 12:00 pm, but then come to find oiut that it was only to provide me a research knee questionairre survey. Since I had an ACI, it is one of the procedures that are tracked for research purposes.  So, I complete the survey and then I still wait and wait and wait.  Finally it is 1 pm before I am called back to the pre-op area for the normal pre-op pregnancy test, changing into the attractive gown, IV started, anesthesiology discussion, etc.  They bring my hubby back for a bit before finally wheeling me into surgery about 2:30 pm. 

Next thing I know is I am in recovery and my left leg is very painful to the point that I was actually crying slightly.  I kept apologizing to the nurses and my Dr.'s PA because I don't nomally cry, but the combination of pain and anesthesia set me off. I wasn't bawling hysterically or anything, but tears were streaming a bit.  They upped my morphine and it eventually was much improved.  At this point, it was determined that a femoral block would not be needed. They could tell my improvement in my demeanor that I would far better without it.  By this time, my Dr. came out to discuss the surgery results.  He said that the left knee defect was a large defect and larger than appeared on the prior arthroscopy and was about a 2 cm x 2 cm (or 20 mm x 20 mm if I am doing the conversion correcctly).  There was also a large bone spur in the defect that he had to grind down also.  Everything though went textbook. The right knee did also have a defect, but it was not as large as the left knee defect. He did debride it and called Genzyme to ensure that they still had enough of my prior ACI biopsy, so an ACI biopsy was not taken if I end up needing ACI on that knee. 

So, we were discharged about 6:45 pm and it was definitely difficult to maneuver into our Odyssey van, but we managed by having me sit sideways with my legs u on the other seat in the middle row.  We then went and picked up our son, stopped at Panera to pick me up some soupt and got me home! I have managed to use the raised toilet set on my own and it was an absolute must have for me.   What I am struggling with is raising and lowering my leg when I get up to ensure it doesn't go crashing down. I'm using myu other leg for support now or having my husband hold it, but I am reconsidering the leg lifter to help also.

After some soup, some more oral pain meds, I really wanted to be in bed and sleep. So, I slept from 8:30 til 10:30 and got up to use the bathroom.  So, here I am now and the Gameready icing system is back on my knee and I will be dozing off again shortly.

So, far I am managing okay.

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 06:16:02 AM »
Oh honey, I'm sorry you are in a lot of pain. I can relate. I'm surprised they didnt give you the femoral nerve block whilst you were under, I had that and it was great, unlike Duckies experience where they did it when she was awake and it wasnt nice, so maybe that was a good thing they skipped it for u.

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well though, even if the defect was bigger than anticipated, which is a bummer, they are on top of of it.
I had my hubby lift my leg for the first few days also, then I was able to use my "good leg" to help lift or lower it to the floor.
The first few days were the worst when it comes to the pain of moving around to loo (sorry for the Aussie slang! Hope that make you smile) but it will get better, hang in there.

Feel better soon,
Kat xx  :-*
5/10 - Referred to OS
9/10 - TTT with LR

cdubb

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »
Day 1 Post Op (morning posting)

Well, I made it through my first night! It really wasn't all that bad except having to get up to use the bathroom about 3 times.  I drank a lot of water coming home due to the severe cottonmouth and well...that leads to a lot of night wakings.  I was able to get myself up on my own and into the bathroom, go and return to the bedroom.  Where I needed some help was to have my leg lifted back up and onto the bed.  If I had to do it on my own, think I could have done it, but when my quad muscles are engaged to lift, the pain would become severe.  So, hubby helped.  He also made sure I was taking my pain meds timely and adding ice to the Gameready icing machie for my left leg and bringing me ice packs for the right knee scope. 

Pain med wise I have taken a long acting Oxycontin at 6 pm last (still at surgery center) and again at 6 am this morning.  In between, I took 2 Norco at 8:00 pm, 12:30 pm and just again now at 6:30 am.   I don't know the dosages and the bottles are in the kitchen now.  This seems to be managing me farily well and I have very mild pain at rest and the pain pretty much is there when trying to lift it to get back into bed.  I also have taken a Benedry to help with the itching that I get from narcotics, plus it helps me sleep better than narcotics do.  I have heard from somebody else who had an ACI/AMZ with my Dr. last year and he said that the pain actually became worse on day 2 post op, so I know that I'm not fully out of the woods yet! 

When my Dr.'s PA calls me later, I want to ask her if the pain that I have when engaging my quad to lift my leg is okay to push through and just get the leg lifted or if it is a sign that I shouldn't be doing it.  The Gameready icing machine also provides compression in addition to icing, which results in my foot going numb, so I have turned off the compression feature, but I need to know if I should just suck it up because the compression provides a lot of benefit. 

Today is when my CPM usage will also begin, so I'll need to get that figured out sometime later.  Now, however, it may be time for another nap...even though I've only been up for an hour!

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
A handy way to lift your leg by yourself is with the belt of a robe.  Loop the belt under your ankle and lift...works great and it's cheap  ;D

Best of luck!
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
Glad to see that you've already make two posts since your surgery! Clearly, you're following in my crutch-steps ;)

It sucks that there was more damage than anticipated but at least it was taken care of. Does your OS think this will make recovery any more difficult?

I had people telling me that days 3-7 were the worst but I honestly didn't think so. Other than being nauseous from too many pain meds I think I was doing okay. I'd have to check to make sure on that one.

Good job on traveling. That was so annoying for me, even 24 hours after the surgery. I can't imagine having gone home right afterward. When I went home the day of my first surgery I was so sick from everything that I barely made it to my bedroom before throwing up from the nausea and pain. I don't do well in the backseat of a car to begin with...add anesthesia and pain meds to that and I'm totally tossing my cookies.

I would be careful with the quad pain. I couldn't lift my leg for the first 48 hours without discomfort, but there wasn't much pain. One of those situations where you go "well...I can do it. But I don't wanna." It was easier to just grab the straps on my brace and lift my leg. I would have hated having to use a leg strap of any kind to lift it.

Let us know how the CPM goes. I didn't have to use one for either of my surgeries so I'm interested to see how it goes for you. Are you in a ROM brace already? I can't remember if we asked you that or not.

cdubb

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »
KG, thanks for the belt trick. I'll give that a try before spending money on one of the leg lifters at the pharmacy.  I just want to figure out how to do things for myself without having to ask for help...even though my husband I know is more than willing to help and actually is getting frustrated with me doing things without asking him to help.

Duckie, I am also taking promethazine to help with nausea from pain meds/anesthesia, so I haven't felt too sick.  I did a little bit getting home yesterday, but the promethazine helped and I've just been keeping that up also every 6-8 hours.  As for the defect being larger and the bone spur being there, He didn't say that recovery should be anymore difficult. He just said something about the shaving the bone spur and having to wait for that to stop bleeding before he could sew the patch and insert the cells under the patch.  I was totally fine going home 2 hours after surgery.  My nurse called me her rockstar patient of the day!  I am in what I believe to be a ROM brace. it goes from my ankle almost to my hip and has a bunch of straps and there is a hinge at the side with the degrees on it and it is locked in extension, but it will open up to permit additional range.

One other kind of annoying problem I'm having (and this maybe TMI), but I am having some urinary retention issues.  It's like I can't fully empty my bladder and I have to actually push to get going if that makes sense.  I've had this before after spinals, but not after a general. I asked the Surgicenter nurse and she said that it was normal and should resolve in a day or so.  This also makes me have to go more often and it's such a nuisance to go that it's frustrating. 

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
Hey Courtney and other girls!
I just found your post op diary and I am reading before I make the trip to my docs for my pre-op appt.  I am getting anxious as I read it, but it all is good info.
Will probably start my own diary too as I only have a few days left before I join you all.

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

cdubb

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
Welcome to my thread Melissa! I started mine a few days before surgery because I wanted to type in my entire history while I was still coherent enough to do so! You should include your history in your diary also. 

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
Cdubb, I had the same problem peeing that you did. It took me 20 minutes to get anything to happen the night I was in the hospital. It was a process every time I had to go. Do you prop your leg up when you pee? Weirdly, I find that helps. I couldn't pee for the first few days without having my leg propped up on a stool.

Melissa, welcome to KG! I'll check out you pos-op diary when you post one! Cdubb is right, definitely try to post your history. It helps people a lot.