Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Causes of pain in back of knee and down calf muscles.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Causes of pain in back of knee and down calf muscles.
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »
Hello, as most of you probably have read I had arthoscopic surgery to debri my knee cap on Aug. 2nd. Now 3 months later I still have pain but instead of it being my knee cap it is the back of my knee and down my calf. I still have slight pain in my knee cap but nothing real bad. I had another mri ordered by my GP (not the OS that did surgery) and it came back showing a little arthritis and some swelling, but nothing telling why I have so much pain. I am curious of all the causes of pain in this area. I do have a significant bulge behind my knee and was told by my PT it was a bakers cyst but mri just showed some swelling. I am confused as to why I would be hurting so much and so constantly if there is nothing really wrong. I am seeing a new OS on Nov. 8th, but really don't think he will do much being nothing was seen. Could the mri have missed something?  ???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:38:36 PM by Kimberly 77 »
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline amah12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Causes of pain in back of knee and down calf muscles.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
hello
i have same issue with me right now and going through pain in calf. I had MCL damage 2 weeks ago and now i have non stop pain in my calf. went to emergency yesterday they checked for blood clot and negative, but they only recoomend pain killer and even with pain killer i am at pain all the time.
when i stand up with cruches it actually increases the pain in my calf. Plz tell me how did you pain got fixed what did u do, what actuallu happened and how long you had that calf pain.
plz reply me as soon as possible it could be great help for me.

I am on cruches and doctors r saying i might have ACL gone too. first week i had no pain in knee and in calf, but now after one week this calf pain is not going away. plz plz reply.

Aamir from Toronto Canada

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Causes of pain in back of knee and down calf muscles.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »
Aamir, are you putting weight on the injured leg/limping? That'll contribute to pains in the feet and lower legs because our body weight is off balance and when you are walking differently, even with crutches, it forces your body to compensate by using muscles in different ways, which stresses them and causes them to hurt. If it is higher up on your calf it could be related to your injury, as sometimes there is soft tissue and bone bruising. The MCL attaches to your lower leg and injury to the MCL can cause pain in that area as well. I only had a grade 1 MCL sprain and I had pain quite a ways down into my lower leg. Some of it was caused by a bone bruise, but some of it was also caused by not being able to distribute weight and walk normally. It went away after about a week. If you are putting weight on the injured leg and limping, it might help to keep weight off of it entirely.