Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL/MCL and patella grade 4 arthrtitis advice  (Read 977 times)

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
ACL/MCL and patella grade 4 arthrtitis advice
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
4 months ago i had a riding accident whic resulted in knee injury, i had an X-ray, nothing broken, had the vagus stress test and it was deemed that I had an MCL injury, my leg was braced 60/30 for 4weeks, reviewed and reviewed at 4 weeks when the brace was opened and told to wear during the day for the next 4 weeks. next appt told to leave the brace off, still knee swelling stiffness and locking, OS decided on MRI and to start PT.  Had MRI 4 weeks ago which revealed MCL grade 2, ACL gross abnormality possible rupture, no meniscus tearing, alll other ligaments okay and Grade 4 arthrtitis in the patella!!! Saw the OS at OPA appt next day, was told no surgery necessary, loads of rehab, to wear a knee brace and basically the knee is knackered with a possibility of TKR but as i am 52 deemed too young.  I have good days and bad days with knee locking if i walk on uneven ground, pain on climbing up the stairs, stiffness and aching at the back of the knee with what feels like ligaments twanging with dull ache when i stretch my leg.  my guestion is this normal, am i overdoing it is it the ACL interferring with the PCL, i just want to get back on to the horse and try to resume my riding as best as i can, help and advice please :)
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL/MCL and patella grade 4 arthrtitis advice
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »
Miss Beams wrote: my guestion is this normal, am i overdoing it is it the ACL interferring with the PCL, i just want to get back on to the horse and try to resume my riding as best as i can, help and advice please

Welcome to the forum. I know there are a number of people who are here because of riding accidents (myself included) who can offer advice from their own perspective. I stress - from their own perspective as the extent of each injury is different.

I regard myself as one of the fortunate cases because for the first two weeks post injury I had no medical intervention other than an internist visit & an MRI unread by any OS. At the two week mark I met with my OS but by that time I was walking well & barely limping. The difference between you & me was that I was offered no assistance from crutches, cane, brace until I saw my OS. I came away from that visit with a neoprene hinged brace & a script for a custom Townsend brace. Because of my age (67 at the time) I was not offered ACLr & was simply told that the MCL would heal with time & if the torn meniscus became a nuisance, the doc would scope & clean.

A month after the injury I was back to riding my horse which leaves me to wonder if using ones knee after such an injury might in fact have enabled me to recover more quickly. I had no aids so went about setting up a rehab program of my own which involved walking, first on the flat then up & down hills. It seemed to have worked for me.

I dealt with a lot of swelling & 5+ years later my knee will still swell some by the end of the day. I suspect each of our inuries is different but I'm pleased that my approach allowed me the freedom it did regardless of the extent of the inuries. Wishing you well.

April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL/MCL and patella grade 4 arthrtitis advice
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
thanks for your comments, i think being positive and having a passion, does help
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)