Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Loose ACL graft 6 weeks after recon!  (Read 3130 times)

Offline petersellers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Loose ACL graft 6 weeks after recon!
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Hi
I had an ACL recon and microfractures surgery 6 weeks ago.Rehab went very good until now and i didn't have any problems.Today i even started walking without crutches and felt no pain in microfractures area which is very encouriging..
But there is one thing i am worried about.When doctor was examining my knee today (he was doing lachman test) i felt that the knee laxity was bigger in operated leg than in the other leg.I am very experienced in these things because this is my third knee surgery.Doctor told me that it's true but that he feels the graft is ok and when he does the test he feels that the graft is stopping the knee.i felt the same way but i am still worried..
Is it normal that there is different laxity in two knees after the surgery and will this be a problem?
Thank you!!

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Loose ACL graft 6 weeks after recon!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »
Hi there

I had the same surgery as you (I have been keeping a Post Op diary if you want to have a read  :)) including the Microfracture, and it is my second one.

I really think 6 weeks Post Surgery is really too soon to worry about laxity. It is well documented that the ligament, irrespective of the source (your own or donor - which one did you have?) undergoes cell death, cellular re-population, and re-vascularisation (ingrowth of new blood vessels) in the first 6 weeks. Alot of people liken it to a "wet noodle" at this stage.

Most of the reading I have done indicates that at 3 months, the graft is stronger and more reliable and thats why most rehab protocols really "baby" the knee for most of that time, in fact up to 6 months in some.

When do you see your OS again?

Stay positive and Take care.

29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline petersellers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
Thank you very much for answering..It was very helpful..
I'll look into your post op diary..
I forgot to mention that this is my acl revisio surgery.i had a surgery on the same knee year and a half ago..
I play soccer professionally and that's why i am so afraid of any little problem and complication that can occur....
First time i had a patella graft and this time doctor chose hamstring graft..After the first operation i had so many problems and much pain.
Now with hamstring graft rehab is much easier..
I am also worried about these microfractures because i heard that the rehab after this is very painful and slow..also people say that some individuals never recover from this..cartilage is very complicated thing..
thank you again for helping me

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
hi

Also a revision on the same knee, 3 1/2 years apart ;D
I had hamstring the first time, and this time donor graft.

The success of recovering from Microfracture depends alot on adhering to the non weight bearing as prescribed by your surgeon, and also on your age. Being a professional soccer player, I assume you are under 30, which is very helpful in terms of rebuilding cartilage etc.
I am almost 40 but am not going to let that weigh me down continuously. I am doing everything I was told to do, and will just take the best care of my knees and health from here on out. I have also started taking a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement, although there is no conclusive evidence that this actually works.

Do you know how big the defect was and whether it was in a weight bearing area? Mine was less than 1cm x 1cm but was on a weight bearing area of the medial femoral condyle. I was non weight bearing for the better part of 6 weeks.

Once I started bearing weight I had no pain, except the odd twinge when I do my single leg squats i.e. all the weight on the bad leg.

29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline petersellers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
Hi Blue Topaz!
I was not online that much..been busy with all the rehab thing:)
By the way i am 2 months post op and everything is ok at the moment...Have no pain in my bad knee..only when i practice one leg squat.when i do this it feels strange.not quite a pain but maybe uncomfort..but very day the leg feels more stable and strong..
How are you doing?
And is it okay to do one leg stands and squats after microfractures..?my fizio makes me do these things.i don't do squats exactly but just standing one one leg which is bent little bit

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Hi there

Yes, my physio also has me doing single leg squats and balancing. At first they felt IMPOSSIBLE and SORE  :o but now I do them quite easily.
At this stage, everything is still closed kinetic chain, i.e. your foot is always planted either on the floor or on the pedal of the bicycle.
I am also doing lunges and wall squats.

If you can, cycle as much as you can, it really has helped me alot and my knee misses the exercise when I dont manage to fit it in.

I am 10 weeks post op today  :)

Take care.

29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline petersellers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
Yes i was so afraid when my fisio told me to do one leg squats..:)
My knee is also sore sometimes after these exercises but it also feels better every day.
Good luck to you too..and i'll keep in touch
Bye