Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL Tear or Medial Meniscus Tear? Please Help  (Read 11366 times)

Offline MyKneeSucks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL Tear or Medial Meniscus Tear? Please Help
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:47:18 AM »
I hurt my knee 4 weeks ago as of today.  I was playing football/soccer and kicked the ball at the same time someone else did, only my knee was fully extended and somewhat out to my side and his weight was behind him and needless to say, he won the battle.  My knee began hurting and I kind of hobbled around on the field for 3 minutes or so before havintg to leave the game.  (I don't like coming out of a game.)  The next day I went to a doctor and they told me my MCL was sprained or torn but since I did not have insurance I did not have any sort of scan done since the MCL usually heals on its own.  I couldn't walk very well for about a week and then after 2 weeks I could walk nearly fine but it hurts to bend my leg or be in the squatting position.  For the last 2 weeks it hasn't got any better.  I was told if I completely tore my MCL it might take 6 weeeks to heal though since the hault in recovery I've began to wonder if I have a torn meniscus after reading the symptoms.   Again I don't have insurance but would like my leg to heal. I should be back on insurance on Jan 01 2011. Could waiting to have it looked at be a problem?  Any opinion is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline orthoped

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Orthopedic Doctor
Re: MCL Tear or Medial Meniscus Tear? Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »
Meniscal injuries are generally stable but do not heal well by themselves, because they lack blood supply. Such structures generally do not heal well or rather at all without surgical intervention.

A few signs of meniscal injury for you:

Painful inability to extend or straighten the knee completely (episodic phenomenon called "locking")

Try bending and straightening your leg (or lie down and ask someone to do it for you) with your ankle turned outwards. This generally stretches the medial meniscus and causes pain and/or "locking"

Though ideal approach would have been to get an MRI scan done followed by appropriate treatment. But since you are not insured I have added some basic pointers for your help.

Dr Gauresh

Offline MyKneeSucks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:21:31 AM »
Well thank you for your input and suggestions.  It does not hurt at all to straighten or extend my leg, it only hurts when bringing it back or bending it behind me when standing.  An example would be kicking or sprinting.  Another question I have is if the range of motion is very limited and I can't bend it back much without it hurting, is that a sign that I should not be trying to bend it back at all, or should I slowly bend it back even through the tolerable but uncomfortable pain to get its ROM back and hopefully the pain will ease away if it was just caused from and MCL sprain/tear?  Is there a difference in what physically causes the MCL or medial meniscus to tear?  Or are the injuries usually caused by the same type of trauma.

If it helps and I'm not spamming but this is pretty much what happened to my knee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-J07RSJ9U

Offline krisvanhofwegen4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:11:07 AM »
Hi,
All I can say is get your self a good Brace. Ice When it hurts. ace bandage when u sleep. And wait for insurance to kick in.
GOOD LUCK!

support