Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible LCL Injury  (Read 1236 times)

Offline pertinky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible LCL Injury
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
Hey there,

Just joined the boards after getting a bit OCD with a problem I'm having with my right knee.

Picked up the injury a couple of months ago but can't recall an *event* that caused it; sort of crept up on me! I noticed it when I was crossing my legs (a bad habit in work!). I'd attribute it to a combination of football and snowboarding (once a week activities).

At the time I thought it was a knee sprain/strain and rested up and I couldn't see any signs of bruising or swelling. In fact it was generally ok and didn't feel weak nor did it aggrevate when I was walking. The only time it gave me problems was when I was doing a movement that twisted my knee (e.g. knee stretch) or if my knee was full flexion and upon straighening it. I have developed a light clicking/popping around the outer compartment of my knee now although its not painful.

Anways it didn't seem to be going away (I have been wearing a brace) so I've been to the GP twice recently and both couldn't find anything immediately wrong with my knee or replicate the discomfort through their normal tests of the knee. They were even happy for me to continue with activity...its got to that point where I've been scheduled to have an MRI (probably 6-8 weeks time).

I've looked at things like LCL trains/tears/ruptures and non of the symptoms seem to really fit so I'm at a loss as what the underlying problem could be. I'm a bit bummed out as the winters approaching and its snowboarding season so I've got some holidays booked up that I'll be absolutely gutted to miss if theres a serious issue. The caveat is I'm shying away from doing much on the knee (cardio/strenghtening) as I don't want to risk further damage. At most a couple of 45 minute Xtrainer sessions is all I will do.

I was wondering if anyone had any other similar experiences to this and possible offer a bit of advice to cheer me up!

Thanks.

Offline k66yla

• Regular Poster
Re: Possible LCL Injury
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
Hi
I thought I had injured my LCL when I slipped on the ice nearly 2 years ago. Went to the GP who sent me for about 12 physio session over the course of a year. It did'nt get better so I was finally referred to see a Orthopaedic Consultant who instantly diagnosed a Lateral Meniscus tear, had an MRI recently which confirmed it and also found a cyst, which I think is causing a lot of my pain in the LCL area. Op due within the next 6 weeks.
So maybe you have the same problem as me. At least your GP has realised an MRI is needed and depending on diagnosis you won't be sent off for any pointless treatment.
Good Luck with it  :)
April 83 - Right Knee Trauma
             2 Broken Wrists
1999    - Lateral Release Left Knee
Nov 10 - Anterior HornTear & Parameniscal Cyst Athroscopy Left Knee

Offline pertinky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the info k66yla.

I'm hoping whatever the inital injury was its healed but maybe there some scarring or calcium built up which is causing the discomfort/clicking. I'm pretty much wearing my brace whenever I'm doing any substantial movements with my knee e.g. walking or driving. Only 6 weeks to wait :S Really hope I don't need surgical intervention as I have two snowboarding holidays booked in Jan/Feb. I was keen to get started as it takes a good 3 months to get myself back in shape for a week away.

Offline pertinky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
Got my MRI date through: 19th October - not too bad 5 weeks.

Offline k66yla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
Thats good pertinky, keep us posted on how you get on. Hopefully I would've had my op by then but I'm talking NHS so it could be anytime between now and 2012.....lol
             2 Broken Wrists

Offline k66yla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:04 PM »
How did your MRI go, have you got the results yet?
             2 Broken Wrists

support