Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is this ACL graft faliure?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Jonnylast

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this ACL graft faliure?
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Hey guys. Hope you're all well.
Long story short, I'm a gymnast/circus performer and this time last year i snaped my acl, Crried on training on it and it dislocated it several times *ouch*
Had the operation 2 months ago and im still not happy, when they/me do the lachmen test theres alot of movment init but when they do the pivot test theres none. its normal. They said they put laxicity into th eligament sometimes , is this true? to the amount where it moves kindof alot.. The physio and surgions said it has a good"end point"
The fact of the matter is i dont feel safe doing gymnastics on it when it moves in the lachmen test. What do you guys think? hel would be very very much apricated

regards
Jonny

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Is this ACL graft faliure?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »
It is true that surgeons can leave a little laxity in the joint - my PT said that this is to ensure that the new ligament isn't too tight, which can prevent you from achieving full ROM and cause other complications. My left knee, which has had the reconstruction, has just fractionally more laxity than the right - but both the OS and PT have reassured me that this is perfectly normal, the graft is rock solid, and the knee is very stable. It certainly feels completely stable to me, and has coped fine with my progress through rehab.

That said, it sounds as though your knee has quite a bit of laxity. If it's enough to make you feel concerned about the overall stability of the joint, I would make an appointment with your surgeon and ask him/her to check it. The OS is the only one who can say for sure whether the ligament is behaving as expected.

Good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support