Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress  (Read 41117 times)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 04:53:37 AM »
My appointment with the P.T went well Friday.  I shared what happened with my bike ride and asked him about the options that were pointed out to me.  He said that he wanted to try one other thing first and if that didnít work we would move to some of the other options.  We worked through a few of the routine exercises and then went into working my kneecap for quite awhile and fairly aggressively. I then got on the bike and he had me just do the half rotation for about two minutes. I then went on to full rotation two forward the two reverse. After a few more minutes, I was able to bike with no pain. The kneecap and patellar stayed in place. I was really surprised and very happy about this. I ended up biking about 15 minutes with no issues.  I ended the day with a flex of 130. My extension has not caused me any issues.  I was given the ok to start placing approximately 50% of my body weight on the leg while walking with the crutches.  He believes I may be off them in the next week or two!!! 

One interesting side note:  I was talking to another one of the P.T at the end of my appointment and she asked me if I was the one who had the healing response.  She told me, while in Colorado; she worked with many of Dr. Steadmanís patients who had this same procedure. She advised me that she had never seen one fail. What are the odds of that?

Hi Snowy, I was looking at the Trek bikes and they looked like they had some good prices. I want to test a few out but that is probably several months away.  I have a friend who is trying to talk me into a carbon fiber frame but I donít mind the aluminum and the pricing is better.

ACL healing response oct 14 2010

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
Congrats mightjack - that's great news!! Your PT sounds great and working the kneecap aggressively seems like exactly what you needed. The fact that you were able to do 15 minutes on the bike is awesome also! How high up did you have the bike seat and what tension setting did you have it on?

Being on crutches can be frustrating but I'm sure you'll be off them in no time! I was on both crutches for around 3 weeks and then a single one for 2 weeks. It was a relief to get off them but they certainly serve an important purpose during the early recovery phase.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:08:19 PM by Bigman78 »
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »
That's very encouraging news - what a great thing to hear! Sounds like the exercises are coming on as well. Fingers crossed that the patellar manipulation is enough to solve the kneecap issues. I'm guessing he though that adhesions from the surgery might have gummed it down in slightly the wrong place, and was trying to break them - we had to do a bit of this on my kneecap in the early days as well, and it still doesn't have as much mobility as its counterpart on the good leg.

To be honest, unless you're actually planning to do the kind of racing where you're looking to shave every possible second off your time there's no need for a full carbon frame. I drool over them constantly (if money were no object I would have one of these: http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+PRESTIGE_10_CR.html?BIKE=952&CATID=2&SCATID=21&Y=2011) but for the kind of riding I do, I can't justify spending an extra $2000 - $5000 on the carbon frame. My current road bike has an aluminium frame and carbon forks - it's probably considered high entry level - and it's just great for what I do. It's still so light I can lift it up with one finger, and it absolutely flies when I open it up on the flats or race up hills (or at least it did in the days before knee surgery...sigh. That's me and not the bike, though.)

This is definitely a good time to buy a bike - you can catch both the winter sales and stores clearing out their old stock ready for the latest year's models in the spring. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:38 AM »
Hey Bigman 78,

I believe the resistance on the bike was set pretty low but didnít catch the specifics.  I wish I could say I had the same success on the stationary bike at home this morning but I still canít quite work the kneecap like my PT.  Iím not too worried. Iím sure Iíll get it down soon. 

Hi Snowy,

Iím going to go with the aluminum frame unless I can find something I just canít pass up price wise with the carbon fiber (which is highly unlikely).  I would think all the biking you do would be great for your leg strength and your knee. I hope I can put in some serious miles soon. 

Offline Ironjill

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:04 AM »
Hi mighty jack,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your progress to date, sounds like everything is going really well.

Now to get to one of my favorite subjects, bikes, if you go the aluminum frame it is very much worthwhile making sure you get a carbon fibre fork as it has a huge damping effect on road vibe. It's a great time of year to find a deal if you shop around so good luck with that. The most important thing however is that the bike fits you properly and will be the single biggest contributor to comfort, so it's worth shopping around bike shops and getting them to do a fit to see what works.

Now that my endurance running days and therefore triathlons are over, I am going to redefine myself as a cyclist instead which will naturally involve trading up my trusty steed for a fancy smancy full carbon way too expensive toy that I'll never justify by my speed, but it will make me feel really cool :)

Give me a shout if you have any bike questions, a topic I love to chat about.

Jill
April 4 2010 skiing accident :
R. Knee ACL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, tibial plateau fracture, separated meniscus, meniscus tear.
L. Knee PCL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, meniscus tear
Aug 18 2010 R. Knee ACL reconstruction with allograft.
Oct 15 2010 L. Knee PCL & MCL reconstruction with allograft.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »
No worries. No doubt you'll have the resistance setting low for a few weeks but you will steadily work your way upwards. Keep patient and I'm sure your kneecap problems will be resolved after a few more sessions with your PT.

It's great having a stationary bike at home... makes it a lot easier to get more done!

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »
P.T went well this afternoon.  I was on the bike for about 15 minutes with light resistance.  I have a few more exercises for my kneecap/patellar.  I am officially up to 75% of my body weight on the leg with high hopes of being off them by next week.  Iíve been pushing it at work which has caused my knee to swell a bit more than usual so Iíll need to watch that. ROM is going well. I have full extension with no effort and flex of around 133*

Hi Bigman78

The bike is definitely nice to have at home though I would much rather be on the road.  I donít think the kneecap will slow me down too much. Once Iím walking with full weight, the muscles will respond better.

Hello Ironjill

Thanks for the ideas on the road bike. You and Snowy both mentioned the carbon forks. Iíll make sure I get those.  I like shopping so Iím looking forward to getting out there and searching for a bargain.  I have the same thought you do which is replacing the running with the biking. I still havenít figured out what to replace the basketball with.  I used that to stay in shape during the winter.  I swim so maybe Iíll just increase that activity.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:40 AM »
Hey mightyjack,

Great to hear the PT session went well, my next session is today and looking forward to it! You sound like you're well on your way and 75% weight bearing is excellent for this stage! Keep up the good work :)

It's fantastic that your flex is coming back nicely also along with the extension. I still have to work on my extension... no doubt my PT will mention it again today!

Hopefully you'll get back on the road soon. hope it continues to go well.

Cheers

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
Five weeks post op,

Good news on my personal P.T.  I was finally able to get through the stationary bike for 15 minutes at home with no issues. It felt so good; I broke protocols and took a few steps without the crutches. I wasnít supposed to do that until next week but I didnít feel any pain. I could tell the muscles have a way to go before it feels completely stable. Itís amazing how tentative I was with that first step. Itís strange considering just two weeks before my surgery I was snorkeling in Alaska which required me to scale unstable and slippery boulders which didnít faze me one bit.  I decided I will not try it again until after I am given the ok but I just couldnít resist.

Bigman78: I hope your P.T goes well.  Keep me posted.

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
I woke up to a lot of snow today and a blizzard warning! Iím glad I can work from home this week.

I am closing in on the six week mark this coming Thursday.  Iím hoping the P.T has me off the crutches after my visit this Wednesday.  I managed 25 minutes on the bike yesterday but only had the resistance set at 6. Considering the tracking issues the last few weeks, Iím satisfied with the progress.  The leg is still pretty week but once Iím off the crutches, it should bounce back pretty fast. R.O.M is 0 to 135. I have a follow up visit with the O.S next week and will post the outcome.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 01:40:30 AM »
Sounds like you're doing great on the bike. 25 minutes is a great effort at this stage especially considering you're still on crutches. I did 15 minutes last night and it felt great but decided to stop there until I get the go ahead from my PT to do more. Are you on both crutches or down to one night? Have you increased the weight bearing?

I saw a significant change from week 6 so hopefully the same occurs for you.. keep at it and above all keep patient as you're doing well!

Offline Ironjill

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 02:37:44 AM »
Sounds like your recovery is coming along fantastic. I am very jealous of your ROM  :D
April 4 2010 skiing accident :
R. Knee ACL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, tibial plateau fracture, separated meniscus, meniscus tear.
L. Knee PCL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, meniscus tear
Aug 18 2010 R. Knee ACL reconstruction with allograft.
Oct 15 2010 L. Knee PCL & MCL reconstruction with allograft.

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
Hi Bigman78,
I am only supposed to go 10 minutes on the bike but the knee felt fine so I kept going.† My P.T said as long as I only feel normal muscle pain the next day, I was ok to go longer.† Iím still on both crutches but I think I could be on one if needed. They havenít given me that option yet.† I see the P.T tomorrow and I think they are going to let me walk without them.† Thatís good advice to be patient. Iím getting a little ahead of my P.T and should be careful or Iíll be back to where I started.

Hi Ironjill
My ROM is pretty good but I only had the acl to contend with.† If I was dealing with what you are going through, Iím not sure Iíd ever bend my knees again. I have a feeling you would finish the marathon before I had a chance to get my running shoes on!

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
Six weeks post op,

Iím finely off the crutches today!† The P.T told me before testing the leg that they would have me use the crutches while outside (snow) and off them only when Iím indoors. Once I started walking, they changed their minds and decided to let me go full time without crutches. No limp and no pain. I went right to the store and walked around for about 45 minutes.† What a great feeling!† The leg feels a little week while Iím up and walking but thatís to be expected.† I also have the green light to bike as long as I would like so long as I donít push the resistance too high.† They had me try a flight of stairs which caused some pain. I will be adding the stairs to my P.T. a couple of times a day and all the walking/biking my leg will tolerate. Once I arrived back home, I started picking up around the house. That was awesome too! Itís funny the things we take for granted.† Iíll drop in another post after my Doctors appointment Wednesday.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:28:06 AM by mightyjack »

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 01:36:53 AM »
Great to hear mightyjack!! Congrats!

Now that you're off the crutches I'm sure your progress will pick up even further now. It's great that you have no limp or no pain! I'm really working on improving how I walk.... my limp is almost gone I think but will get the PT to confirm today! Stairs are tricky for most people it seems... I've been lucky in a way as I was forced to walk up & down 2 flights of stairs every day with crutches very early in my recovery. Now I don't have any difficulty or pain going up or down. I'm sure you'll be the same after a while.

You're spot on though.... funny what we take for granted!! I remember being only able to change clothes while sitting on the bed.... it was a big relief when I could do it standing up when I could balance on my bad leg!

Hope the next couple of weeks go well!