Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress  (Read 41116 times)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
I had my2cd visit to the physical therapist exactly two weeks and one day since my surgery.  My extension at rest was close to 0*and -1* after P.T and flex was 95*. It looks like positive improvement since my first visit two days ago.  I was surprised to hear that depending upon my progress I would start to put light pressure on my leg next Thursday.  I was under the impression I wouldnít be able to do that until the six week mark but the therapist said it had more to do with where I am with my quad muscles and that I am very close to that point.  I should be at 100* flex by next Tuesday. Iím confident I can make that goal.  At times, doubt creeps in as to whether or not my acl is actually repairing itself or that I did something to compromise the repair but I can see reading other stories that this is pretty common to worry about.
ACL healing response oct 14 2010

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
Sounds like pretty good progress! I think our ROM must be almost identical, it will definately be interesting to compare as time goes on! :) I hope you are able to put some pressure on your leg, i think its a big step to getting back to 'normal'. Best of luck with continued recovery.

March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Itís been a busy three days so Iíve missed some posts. Hereís the latest.

20 days post opp:   Things are going according to schedule.  My ROM stands at 0 to 120* (the 120 was pushing it though). The knee isnít quite tracking correctly at the 120. I am putting about 25% to 30% pressure on the leg three times a day (1 set of 10). They will be adding to the walking exercises by Friday. Iím hoping to be on the stationary bike in a few weeks.  I was given the ok to hit the gym for upper body weight training on the machines only as long as I donít place any pressure on the leg.  I just got back from the gym. Itís not easy lugging yourself around with the crutches while working out. The arms get weak  :  )

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
My Therapist just added walking while on crutches with around 25% body weight (pressure) on the knee this is only during extension. The weight needs to be off as the knee starts to bend.     He is talking about adding the bike at 4 weeks and walking without crutches at around week 5.  There is still some swelling around the knee but everyday it seems to get a little better.  I have a follow up visit the first part of December with my O.S.  For some reason they are going to take X rays.  Iím more interested in whether the acl is healing and donít think the X ray will show that but I could be wrong. 

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
everything seems to be coming along nicely, bet you cant wait to get off those crutches! ;) hows your ROM coming along, any improvements in the last couple days?

I thought xrays only showed bone, and not soft tissue like ligaments and cartiledge? Im not sure why they would do one, but im sure they must have their reasons. I guess it must be typical with your type of surgery, because im not sure if anyone who has had the recon has had an xray in their follow up appt.

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
Hey Roo,

Things are progressing well.  My therapist didnít check the ROM on my last visit but I think it must be close to 130*.  Iíll see if I can get that number on my visit Tuesday.  I am a little confused regarding the  X ray but it probably has something to do with the fact that they punched a bunch of holes in my femur and are looking at how its mending. I donít know what they do to determine whether or not the ACL has healed itself other than an MRI.  I canít wait to donate these crutches to my DRs Office!

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
Iíve been back to work the last 4 days.  My occupation is not overly physical so I donít have to be on my feet to a great extent.  I can get away with using crutches.  I took a step back on my ROM Monday as I have been skipping my PT during the middle of the day. I get too busy at work and itís easy to skip that. It just proves how important keeping up on the therapy is.  Iíve decided I better make time during the day for it. I have the ok to use the stationary bike this Thursday. Itís only 5 minutes and little to no resistance but Iím still looking forward to it.

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
great that you can get back to work, just a shame then that it makes you miss out on a bit of PT!! I guess its good for your sanity more than anything, i know i was going crazy back at home without much to do. How much weight are you putting through the leg now?

Let us know how the bike gets on! Dont do what i did and try it too fast, before realising your leg wont bend enough! Take it cautiously for the first few rotations, but im sure you'll be fine, your flex is way better than mine by the sounds of things, plus you dont have the added weakness in the hamstring.

Roo

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
Thanks for providing this thread Jack - very interesting reading and good to hear you're coming along well.

I didn't even realise there was such a thing as a healing response surgery. I guess you learn something new every day!

Good luck with the rest of the recovery, getting on the stationary bike is a great milestone early in the recovery!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
Hello Roo
It is good to be back to work.  I am able to put about 50lbs on the leg right now.  The bike didnít go so great.  My kneecap and patellar just do not want to track correctly.  The kneecap is sliding to the side and pops back in after the full rotation.  I pushed down on it while I biked and as long as I kept some downward pressure I was able to keep biking and it stayed in place.  I did this for the 5 minutes.  I think the cause is due to the scar tissue thatís between the kneecap and patellar.  I will check with the Therapist on my next visit.

Hello Bigman78
Thanks for looking in on my posts.  I didnít know too much about it either but I was up for trying it out. There is a little info on the web but not too much regarding detailed stories.  I figured I would post each step in hopes that it provides enough detail for others that might be looking at the procedure.  Iíll post the short and long term results.  Of course, Iím hoping for a success story but either way it will be out there.   

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 06:15:09 AM »
It might also be muscle atrophy. I've had some kneecap tracking problems, and primarily they're caused by the fact that my VMO is still nowhere near up to full strength. My PT got me doing dozens of single leg dips (the first few degrees of a squat work directly on the VMO) and that really helped - might be worth a try if your PT okays it, or you can ask about other VMO strengthening exercises.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
Thatís a great point Snowy.† My therapist mentioned that my muscles were firing well but I can tell you that there has been visible muscle atrophy and considering I am only allowed to place around 50lbs of weight on the leg, Iím thinking you are spot on. I will ask my P.T about this.†

Just a follow up on your question about the bike.† I am thinking more of a road bike for longer rides.† I hope you're feeling better.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:19:05 PM by mightyjack »

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
No worries mightyjack. I'll be interested to see how you progress.

Sorry to hear the bike ride didn't go quite to plan. Like snowy mentions sounds like you need some more support for your knee. Rather than holding it would strapping it up be an option?

All the best!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »
Hey Bigman78,
I didnít think about strapping it up?  Thatís another thing I will have to ask the P.T.  Thanks for the suggestion. 
Congrats on your progress.  One legged squats at 6 weeks post op is great!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »
Let me know what your PT says - I'm still working on my VMO issues, although they have improved considerably. Strapping and bracing are both options for keeping the kneecap in place if you do have a maltracking problem.

If you're looking for a road bike, I'd recommend checking Trek out as a first option. Dollar for dollar they have some of the best road bikes on the market, and this is a good time of year to buy - you can tap into both the winter clearance discounts and stores looking to get ride of their 2010 stock before the new bikes come out in January. I bought my road bike about this time last year, and got it for $600 rather than the list price of $1300. It was a 2009 model, and the only difference between it and the full price 2010 model was the paint job. All the components were identical.

As I mentioned, I have a really soft spot for Rocky Mountain bikes but that's only because they seem to work better with my cranky knees than any other bike (probably the frame design.) I'm not sure how easily available they are outside of Canada, but they're first class bikes for a very reasonable price. Norco also do some excellent entry level models. Unless you can pick up a deal, though, Trek is likely still the best value for money.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA