Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress  (Read 41115 times)

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
I completely severed my ACL playing in a basketball tournament.† My O.S suggested the Healing response procedure since the tear was high on the ACL.† Basically it is micro fracture surgery that will create a super blood clot via bone morrow. The idea behind this is to allow the ACL to heal itself. I agreed to this procedure and am in day 5.

Prior to my surgery, my O.S told me that he has done the procedure 25 times with good results. He did mention that this type of procedure required certain conditions.† I gave him the green light to perform the H.R surgery. He cautioned that he may have to replace the ACL depending on how the knee looked once inside.† †I found out after the surgery that he went with the H.R option
ACL healing response oct 14 2010

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
Re: Healing Response Surgery. Jacks Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
After the H.R surgery I was advised to return the CPM as I would not be using it.  For this first week, I am in a Brace locked in around 30%.  I have to keep my leg elevated using ice to control the swelling. I am not allowed to use any anti-inflammatory meds as this could compromise the clot and slow the healing process of the tendon. For controlling pain, I am on hydromorphone. 

I have changed my bandages daily.  There has been no bleeding and very little bruising.  While I am up on crutches I notice my foot swells and turns purple. Once I have it elevated the swelling goes away as does the discoloration. I have not walked on the injured leg at this time. In order to keep the blood from clotting, my O.S advised me to keep moving my feet while elevated.  I have a post opp this week and will note any progress. 

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
Day 7.

I have been lowering the dose of pain meds the last few days.† The side effects of the meds are almost as bad as the repaired knee.† It feels like I have the flu (headaches, body aches and nausea).† I am taking an over the counter acetaminophen to help with the effects of the hydromorphone.

Though my leg is in a brace, my legs have been twitching.† At times itís almost violent (like suddenly slamming on breaks of a car). Iím worried that the blood clot has detached due to this. The pain in my knee spikes when the twitching starts.† †Iím hoping to find out at my appointment this Friday that everything is still looking good. I am wondering if anyone else has ever had this type of experience with the uncontrollable leg movements.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
Hi mightyjack, I'm following your thread with curiosity. I hope the twitching gets better for you soon, or at least the pain eases soon so you can drop the meds and be free of the effects from them.

I didn't have the same kind of procedure as you, but I did have occasions where my leg would shake uncontrollably (not often) or (more often) just twitch, like an electric shock. My whole body would follow suit. I remember it especially sucking not because of the twitch itself (which wasn't painful) but the actual jerking of my leg that made me want to punch someone. I read once that it was from the nerves waking up, but I don't know how truthful that is. I do know that it lasted for a few weeks after my surgery for me, and even still happens once in a blue moon now, at 1 year post-op.

Good luck at your appointment.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Hi Crankerchick, thanks for sharing your experience regarding the muscle twitching.  I was hoping I wasnít the only one that had this issue.  With the help of the acetaminophen, I have gone the last 12 hours without the hydromorphone and am feeling pretty good. I will stick with the over the counter pain meds from now on.   Iíll drop in another post after my visit with the DR.

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
First post op today.† They have unlocked my knee brace to a range of 0 to 90.† It sounds like I will be off my feet for at least 5 more weeks.† P.T will not kick in for another week or two though it sounds like the same protocol as with a standard acl reconstruction once it starts.† The O.S felt everything was progressing well and that the clot was firmly in place. He didnít seem worried about my legs twitching as it is somewhat common.† †It seems to me that the recovery in the first month is faster with the replacement tendon vs. the healing response. considering my R.O.M is very limited and with a stardard replacement would be walking by now and close to full R.O.M.† My O.S mentioned that over the long haul the H.R would get me back in the game significantly sooner than a full replacement.† I guess Iíll find out.

I forgot to mention that they removed the stiches at my appointment. there was just three small incision areas with perhaps a total of 9 stiches. One entry point above and to the left of my right knee cap and two below on either side.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:27:51 AM by mightyjack »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
Hi Jack,

Very interested to read how your HR surgery goes in comparison to a regular reconstruction. In terms of the first month, I think the walking/full ROM is based on a best case recovery scenario - certainly most of the folk on here had considerable variance from thaty. (I walked early, but had very limited ROM for more than a month; other folk were on crutches till 4-6 weeks.) My understanding is the same as yours, that the overall timeline for HR is way faster than recon. I've heard of very few of these surgeries being performed, so I'm glad for you that you fit the criteria.

Good luck,

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
Thanks Kay. Thatís true I am comparing best case scenarios.† Of course Iím also assuming that I will be off the crutches in six weeks† : )† A side note:†Other than the DR, the staff at the DRs. office does not seem to know what direction to give you when it comes to questions regarding care. They are not overly familiar with the procedure.† † Yikes!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:55:38 PM by mightyjack »

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:35:02 AM »
Day 11:  I have the green light to start PT and should be out of the brace several times a day working on heal slides (0* to 90*).  My ROM at this time is around 5*to 80*.  Other then the five weeks minimum left on crutches, the PT protocol is the same as with an ACLR.  Iím looking forward to getting started on the PT!  There is really not much pain at this time other then when I push the ROM. 

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »
My first visit to the Physical Therapist today: According to him everything looks good.† I was able to get to 0 to 87 ROM.† I was told that the only difference on the P.T between the H.R and ACLr is the straight leg lift. I am not allowed to do that and of course no walking or direct pressure on my leg.† †Considering in a conventional ACLr they encourage early walking, it will be interesting to see what type of muscle atrophy I experience and how long it takes to gain back the strength in my leg. He did advise me to wear a shoe when I am up on the crutches for any length of time to help with the swelling as long as I am not tempted to step on it.† I will still need to ice twice a day but there is really not much pain even after the P.T session.† He advised me that he would probably be trying to slow me down on the rehab as it might seem like things are feeling pretty good but I still have much healing to go through.† I run an annual 12k in May and my goal is to be able to enter that event this coming year so Iím hoping the timing works out.†

A note on the straight leg lifts: the first week after surgery when i wanted to get up on my crutches, I kept lifting my repaired leg using my leg muscles which is basically a straight leg lift instead of picking it up and moving the leg with my hands.† Sadly they didnít mention not to lift using leg muscles until my first post op so I went a full 10 days potentially putting stress on the acl repair. I suppose if I had felt any pain, I wouldnít have done it but it just didnít feel that bad.† They do tell me that it is highly unlikely that it caused any problems with the procedure : )†
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:44:54 PM by mightyjack »

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
Great news that everything seems to be coming along well for you, I had never heard of the proceedure you had so have been reading all your posts with interest. I had my acl reconstructed using my hamstring in July and have recovered well from the surgery, but only had to spend 2 weeks on crutches which was bad enough, so sympathise on the whole 6 weeks of them, but hopefully it will be worth all the extra time on crutches to get back to your normal activities faster than the normal aclr.
Good luck with your rehab take care
Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
Hi tez27.  Thanks for taking an interest in my posts. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well on your recovery! I hope I have the same success.  After my initial diagnosis of a torn ACL, I started reading the various ACLr posts to try and learn more about my options and what I was facing. Even though I hadnít participated in the posts, it was such a reassuring resource and I was so thankful to all the people that took the time to share.   Later, when I learned from my O.S that he wanted to try the healing response instead of the ACLr, I tried to find some information on line and found virtually nothing.  There were a few mentions of the procedure but no follow up on the outcome from people that have had the procedure.  I decided to log my experience from beginning to end in hopes that it will be a resource for others considering this method.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
There is a link on a Healing Response thread to Bode Miller's treatment using this procedure. He had this treatment to heal a partial tear 2 or 3 seasons ago, the procedure being carried out at the Steadman-Hawkins clinic in Colorado. There is a link to the clinic's pages on it and also to Bode Miller's web site where he describes the treatment and his recovery.

If you search here on Healing Response it is probably the only other thread on the board.

:)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Bode Miller describes it in his book, too - "Go Fast, Be Good, Have Fun." It's pretty awesome to be sharing a treatment plan with Bode Miller.  ;D

The fact that there are only two threads on this make it especially important that you're describing your treatment, and restrictions. It's always frustrating to try and dig up information on something and find very little out there, so any contribution to the pool is appreciated.

Hoping all continues to go well for you!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline mightyjack

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
Hi Kaputt and Snowy
Kaputt, the links to Bode Miller and the Steadman clinic were very helpful and informative.  I thought I might as well re-post the links just to be thorough.  Snowy, it sure sounded like Bode Miller had a very successful experience with the treatment.  It would be great if I had a similar response.  If he was competitively skiing at 7 months, heck I should be able to run a 12k by May! Of course heís an Olympic athlete andÖwellÖmeÖnot so much lol  : )  BTW congrats on your progress. I can't wait until I get to bike and run again!

So far the only differences I could see was that my ACl had a complete tear and I read in the stone clinic site that they used sutures to keep the ACL in place while the clot did its work. I donít believe my O.S used sutures though it looks a little more secure.  I will have to ask him at my next appointment.

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/bodeMiller.cfm

http://www.stoneclinic.com/aclrep.htm