Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Timeline after TKR? I'm discouraged  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Granny Nerd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Timeline after TKR? I'm discouraged
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
I just found this site today and glad I did. I had TKR June 16, and have been doing PT ever since. First, two weeks PT while in the hospital; then PT came to my home for two weeks, and now I've been going to the PT center for three months. Progress is very slow. Two weeks ago I was quite sick with the flu and spent one week in bed--no exercise. Since then I seem to have gone backward. Before the flu I could stand up from sitting in a chair; now I cannot. I still have a lot of pain and take pain pills.

The PT says my ROM is good, but I have little strength in my quads and hamstrings. I've been doing the exercises and riding the stationary bike at home, but still no strength. Today I started exercises in the therapy pool--and still hurt like crazy from it.

I walk very slowly and sort of weave like I'm drunk. The PT says that is from lack of strength.

The doctor said that before surgery I was using my ankles and back to do what my hamstrings and quads should have been doing. But it is so discouraging. Has anybody else had muscle strength problems?
Paula P

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Timeline after TKR? I'm discouraged
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
It is frusterating when the quads and hammies don't want to come back as quickly as we like.  If you have been using other muscles to make the knee work, they ones that got neglected will take a lot of convincing to get working again.  I have had pretty bad quad atrophy myself and know just how frusterating it is.  Also being ill and not able to exercise seems to give the muscles "permission" to back slide.  Ask your PT if e-stim might be helpful to retrain the muscles that are lacking.  Sometimes they need a shove to get going properly.  The pain because the muscles are weak is so tough to deal with as well.  So keep working the quads and hammies, make sure you are also working the hips and glutes too.  Good luck to you and hang in there they will come back.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Granny Nerd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »
THanks for the encouragement.

I have an appointment with my OS this week and I'll ask him about it!
Paula P

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:18:46 AM »
You're welcome.  It can be a long lonely road sometimes.  Let me know how it goes at your appt.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.