Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: STERNUM INJURY (HELP)  (Read 1718 times)

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
STERNUM INJURY (HELP)
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
Has anyone here had an accident where they took a blow to their sternum. I have to use a walker to get around as I have had so many surgeries that I now have a balance problem. I had just answered the door and turned around to take a hold of my walker that was behind  me when the walker started to tip and when I tried to catch it I flew over the top and connected with the corner of a wooden railing directly in the middle of my chest called the sternum. I went to the doctors and she diden't deam it necessary to take x-rays as she said she has never seen anyone break their sternum unless in a car accident where it was crushed. It is weeks later and my chest is still so sore. At first I couldn't move as it was so painful. I cannot find any information on sternum on the Internet relating to an accident. They only talk about heart surgery and Fibromyalgia. How long can I expect to feel this way or have such a sore chest. I'm told it is just mostly cartilage and I probably just badly bruise it, but it would be nice to have some idea of recovery from this. That is all I need is more problems and pain. The doctor just said to take hot showers and lie in a position where I can take deep breaths. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: STERNUM INJURY (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »
Can you take full and proper deep breaths? If you sit up straight, and breath with your hand on your tummy, just under your rib cage, can you feel your diaphragm working properly? You may have bad bruising, a fracture of the sternum, or you may have damaged the diaphragm. If things aren't any better after many weeks I'd be pushing for some proper investigations. Fractures can take a long time to heal, and if you do have a fracture of the sternum then it is just time and rest, But it might be worth you don't have damage to any of the structures around it.

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
Thank you so much for answering my post. I can do all the things you mentioned. At the moment I am mostly sore and it hurts to roll over in bed or any sudden movements. There are times I do get short of breath. When this first happened it hurt so bad I couldn't even get up out of a chair by myself without help as the pain was so bad. I do see improvements but mostly want to be given some idea if injuring the sternum takes a long time to heal even if it is just bruising. My daughter said she caught a foot in her sternum in Karate and it was close to a year before it totally healed. The doctor didn't seem at all concerned that I might have broken it. I was told it is a really big thick bone that protects all your other organs. I think a foot has a lot ore give to it then a wooden railing.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
Get another opinion. This is a serious injury.

Sounds like your GP is just fobbing you off.

I'd push to at least have some x-rays done.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »
Sternum fractures are serieus and i have seen them in other ciscumstances than in car accident. Slim people break them easier as fat people. It is one of the stongest bones but it can cause hart problems too, as your heart is positioned right behind the sternum. One of the things we always have to do first is take an ECG to be sure the heart muscle isn't damaged.

Get it checked out!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support