Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ttt and hosptial stay  (Read 993 times)

Offline Big Glenn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ttt and hosptial stay
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
My daughter is 15 yrs old. She is going in for a TTT and LR. The doctor  recommends we do the surgery as an outpatient surgery. The hospital my daughter's doctor is assoiciated with does not have a pediatric staff so she may not be allowed to stay over night. The operation will take palce early AM (8:00 ) then depending on her level of pain she could be released at 5-6 pm. We like this Doctor he really seems to know whats going on with my daughters knees. Our PT also knows our doctor and gives the surgeon the highest marks. I'm allittle worried about the short stay at the hosiptal the PT feels the same way. Could somene please advise me regarding the required hospital stay after a TTT & LR.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:01:26 PM by Big Glenn »

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
Re: ttt and hosptial stay
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
Some surgeons have a hospital stay for a TTT while others do not. It is a major procedure, but I hope the doctor would only send her home if he believes she can handle it. One surgeon I have seen said he would keep me overnight for the TTT, while the other said it's outpatient. I'm only 17. If your daughter is in too much pain after surgery and it is not controlled by the medicines she would be taking at home, they will find a way to keep her overnight. I'm a little worried about the outpatient TTT the doctor is recommending, but he is also very highly-regarded in my area. I think you should discuss this with her surgeon and just express your concerns. There are many people on this board who have had TTTs and some have stayed overnight while others have not. Perhaps they can advise you more, since they have already been through it. I have had one knee surgery already, but it was smaller, and outpatient. I would say the day of surgery and that night were actually easier than the ones to follow because my surgeon  numbed my knee. If she does have it outpatient, make sure she sticks to the advised schedule of pain pills even if she does not feel a lot of pain. As they told me, it's harder to control once you get behind.

Good luck to both of you!
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline Big Glenn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
Thanks for your help. Its seems like I'll get alot of good advice here. Hope everything works out for you too.

Offline dancermom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
My daughter is 20 and having TTT and lateral release on tuesday of this week and the surgeon said she would be required to stay over night.  Her kneecaps are completely out of place though...do not know if that makes a difference.

cdubb

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
I'm having a TTT (my doc calls it an AMZ) with an ACI procedure for a cartilage defect in about 2 weeks and it is outpatient.  I'll be discharged about 3 hours after the procedure.  Honestly, I am a bit concerned about it, but my doc does them all the time and does them all outpatient and he is a very highly regarded surgeon nationally (probably internationally actually).  If he had problems with people often returning to the ER later for intractable pain, I doubt he would have continued doing them outpatient.  If she has a lot of uncontrollable pain post op, they can do a femoral block or decide to admit her.  They won't discharge her condition isn't stable.  I think her age and not having a pediatric staff at the hospital is pretty irrelevant.  She's 15, not 10. 

Good luck to her (and you)! This is a lot for a 15 year old to handle I'm sure.  I'm 31 and a bit intimidated.... and I've several shoulder surgeries, an elbow surgery, a toe surgery and some knee scopes.  This surgery is by far the biggest though and involves weight bearing protection, which I've never been on before. 

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:11:37 AM »
I had a TTT 5 months ago and was required to stay overnight. I'm 24.  My doctor said it was a major surgery pain wise and mostly keeps patients overnight to help control pain with pain pumps.  I also had a femoral nerve block that numbed me from the groin area down that usually lasts a little over 24 hours maybe more for some. It is also to help control the pain and make it less noticeable.

I have seen as you can tell from above some stay and some do not. If you are really concerned just bring it up with the doctor and ask why and then see what he would recommend if something was not suitable to go home, etc. I wish you the best of luck well your daughter too! Young people usually bounce back quickly!! The first week was the hardest for me but ever since then it was better and better! I've actually just started running outside again and on a treadmill. Goodluck!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:11:50 AM by thecamster21 »
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

support