Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee dislocated  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Rando

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee dislocated
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
Hello,

Last night I dislocated my right knee when jumping over a fence. I jumped away from the fence and landed sideways on my right leg. I immediately felt my knee give way to the right and I went to the ground. After some initial pain my leg felt completely fine, however when I got up and tried to put pressure on it my knee would feel like it was dislocating again. I eventually got to a resting place for a few hours until I went to bed. Again, I had full functionality with no pain unless I tried to walk. I would say I could put 50% of my weight (130lbs) on it before it popped.

Fast forward to now, 12 hours later, it is extremely stiff and moderately painful depending on the position. I no longer have the full range of motion due to the stiffness. Swelling isn't bad and there is no bruising. Generally if I'm sitting down and my leg is a little out in front of me, there is no pain. If I try to straighten it or bend it towards me, I can feel the stiffness and pain. I tried walking on it to see if it would still pop out, but the stiffness is preventing me from even trying that.

What should I do? The last thing I want is to go to urgent care and pay $300 for not being able to do anything. Do you think its something that will be fine in a week or so? I bought crutches and a knee brace.

Offline franny

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee dislocated
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Hi,
Have you done anything like this before?
I live in the UK and if you did then I would recommend that you at least go and see your family doctor. It probably is a good idea to get it checked out if you are struggling to put weight on it after a couple of days. If you feel like it fully dislocated it you don't know whether you have done any structural damage, it is also possible to chip bone in a dislocation. Did it move back in straight away or was it out for a period of time?
I dislocated my knee cap about 10 days ago and am currently laid up in a leg splint and awaiting physiotherapy I am trying to get about but if I push it to far my swelling increases massively! When you dislocate your patella you pull and tear the structure on the opposite side to which it popped out and this can take a long time to heal if not rested properly. It's not something to be taken lightly.
Just as a warning, you really need to be careful while you are healing as everything seem to 'shut down' and stop working so you are much more likely to dislocate it again.
I really would recommend seeing a doctor. I feel for you from a financial perspective but you really can't put a price on your knee or your health.

Hope I've been of some help and that you make a full and speedy recovery.
F
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:10:39 AM by franny »
Bendy Childhood
1999 - Dislocation R Knee-cap
2002- dislocation L knee-cap & arthroscopy
Many subluxations & instability in both knees
2008- gave birth to daughter, PGP, subluxation and instability following birth
2010- dislocation L knee-cap
2011- EDS III diagnosis 
02/07/12- MPFL Reconstruction

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »
If you're here in the US, since you have no health coverage, and have a moderately serious, but not critical injury, call the emergency room and ask for social services. Explain the situation, and ask if you can qualify for assistance. They often have programs that people with no health coverage and low income can qualify for in cases of significant injury, as you obviously need to have the knee xrayed, and probably an mri, as you may have some torn ligaments. You certainly need an immobilizer and some crutches for a couple weeks to let it mend on it's own at the minimum, in my non-medical opinion.

All you can do is ask. Worst case is go to the ER, and tell them you've got no insurance, and they've gotta treat you anyway, and negotiate the bill later. Pay it out at 25 bucks a month if you have to, but you gotta fix it, so you can work.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:46:39 AM »
Hope you're doing better.

I dislocated my knee 5 years ago on a pool ladder. It was never treated and I ended up dislocating it again a few months later and periodically after that. Get it treated. People denied me treatment and told me I didn't need anything, but you should definitely have it looked at in case you did damage. You could end up paying more than $300 for it years down the road. I'm up to $45,000 in surgical bills, diagnostics, and physical therapy (thank God for insurance.)
'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

support