Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: After surgery what happens?  (Read 865 times)

Offline jasmine0070

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
After surgery what happens?
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
hello to all
I was wondering if someone could help me out a little. I am having an ostetomy (left distal ostetomy) from laterial  post traumatic laterial OA. do they put you in a cast or brace? And if so a brace what is it like and who pays for it, how does that work,do you have to buy it or is it a loaner.
I know this sounds silly but getting a little anxious as operation is on Dec 8/2010 unless I get called in early what a dreamer eh. Well I guess I should also state that I live in canada, Ontario in fact. I dont know if every where is the same.
Thanks Tamara
comminuted fracture of proximal tibia involving tibial plateaus with comminuted central depression of the laterial and a major proximal fragment on medial side.
left knee arthroscopy
LK tricompartmental debridement
LK subtotal lateral meniscectomy
LK distal femoral osteotomy

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: After surgery what happens?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »
these are some questions to put to your surgeon's office, as there are some options, depending on the doctor. They could put you in a hard cast while the bone heals and have you not move the knee at all, or they could put you in a ROM brace, which has hinges that have an adjustable range of motion with stops and hinges that can also be locked straight if needed, since the osteotomy is fixated with screws and other hardware, and the doctor's protocol may have you moving the knee to avoid stiffness, but still be not weight bearing. A lot depends on the doctor, and the protocol he uses for recovery.

The best option is to ask them. I'm in the US, not Canada, so I don't know how your health care system covers durable medical equipment. If a brace is required, I image the doctor would order it to be available at the time the surgery is done, so whether or not you'd have to get a prescription from him and go and get it, or if the hospital has them on hand, this would again be questions you'd have to take to your surgeon's office.

Perhaps someone who's from canada will read this and have more input for you.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: After surgery what happens?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
Every doctor's post op is different. I had no brace at all. You could be in anything from an immobilizer to a post op ROM brace that can be locked at different degrees or straight or even a cast. It really just depends on the doctor.
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

support