Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Revision Surgery, Yes or No?  (Read 960 times)

Offline skenny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Revision Surgery, Yes or No?
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:20:22 AM »
I am 13 years out from acl on my left knee.  Couple of months ago, I had swelling in the knee for first time in a long time.  After MRI, ortho recommended revision.  I'm early thirties, with two young kids, who has surgery scheduled in less than 10 days and I am wondering if I should do this.  I have no desire to go back to softball or basketball, but just stay in shape.  Any thoughts?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Revision Surgery, Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
The surgeon is advising a revision because the graft you have already is not functioning correctly (incorrect positioning of the tunnels is the most common reason or graft failure). If you do it now then the chances are that there will be no long term adverse effects. The option to leave it, "suck it and see" is also your right. BUT you could be setting yourself up for severe mechanical problems later on which demand even more drastic treatment.

Call your surgeon and discuss your doubts with them. Find out why they are advising a revision now and what would be the outcome if you delayed this until a time where you felt you and your family were more able to cope. With more information you can make a much more informed decision.

I've had 3 revisions (2 on my right and one on my left) and each time the rehab was much easier than the initial reconstruction. After a 6+ hour revision on my left knee in the summer of 2008, I was back skiing within 6 months!

Don't go into this without all the information to allow you to make an informed decision that is best suited to your needs and lifestyle.

Good luck
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline mlbbarry

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Revision Surgery, Yes or No?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
Skenny,

It is my understanding that ACL repair has come a long way from 13 years ago, I had three of the four ligaments completely torn 22 years ago, 5 days in the hospital, didn't walk for a year, and no rehab.  This is unheard of now. Maybe I am wrong but don't they do ACL repair arthroscopic now days? 

One thing I wonder is; are we at higher risk for OA the more a surgeon digs around in there?  I have had too many surgeries to count on my left knee and now at 41 wish I had really thought it through before letting them open me up repeatedly, as am scheduled for TKR next month.

Kaputt, how long does an ACL repair put you out for in regards to walking? that is probably what she really needs to know with two young babes. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you fair. 

Monica
88' torn ACL, MCL, LCL repair
92' clean up
95' clean up
96' lateral release
99' meniscus repair, and clean up
2004 meniscus repair, & failed micro fracture attempt
2010 April, arthritis clean up and meniscus repair, poor outcome.
2010 Nov. 8th tkr left knee