Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI Operation  (Read 3166 times)

Offline maxpower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI Operation
« on: September 04, 2010, 12:33:41 PM »
Hi all.
I had the MACI operation done on Friday the 20th August in England to treat a 8mm deep lateral femoral condyle. The defect was 22mm long and 18mm wide. The operation went very good and I flew home to Ireland on the Monday after the operation.I had 23 staples in my leg and I got them removed last Tuesday.  I am after two physio visits and all seems to be going well although the brace is very uncomfortable.
If anyone has any advice or tips I would be glad to hear them.

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: MACI Operation
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Hi Maxpower,
glad to hear your op was a success. I too found the ROM brace too clunky & uncomfortable at night time so switched to my straight softer brace which I had from the hospital for sleeping.

Happy physio-ing ;)

Cheers,
7of9
May 22 2013 RK LR & medial capsular plication, debridement, meniscus repair
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI
Nov 4 2009 LK scope - meniscus repair, debridement,      biopsy for MACI

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »
Hi Maxpower,

I am 5 weeks post op from my MACI and Osteotomy.
I have an adjustable brace but wear it only when i am on my feet or sleeping.
I have been told that i can stop wearing it at night but i feel more comfortable knowing that i have some protection should i turn abruptly in my sleep. I simply make sure its not as tight as when im on crutches.
I dont use the brace when i am sitting down with my leg elevated as it is not needed.
I wear it when going to the bathroom.
Bathing is an adventure as i wear it to get in the bath and then remove it once my leg is supported in the bath. I sit on a bath board and shower. I put it back on to get out of the bath.
I think my consultant is keen for me to ditch the brace sooner rather than later but it is vital in protecting the leg should i stumble when crutching or lose my balance.
What was it like with staples in your leg and was it painful when they were removed?

ACE UK  :)

Offline maxpower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
I felt safer with the staples in as now I am afraid of the wound opening but it should be ok as I still have a dressing over it. The staples actually didnt hurt that much being taken out.
I must go back to the consultant on week 3, week 6 and after 3 months. What do these check ups entail?

7of9 how long ago did you have your operation and long long before you ditched the brace?

Also how often would ye go to the physio?

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
Maxpower

Don't worry about the wound opening up. I've had staples in three times, after my accident when I had 20+, again when metalwork came out and today the maci ones came out. There is no way you are going to tear the wound open, watch it carefully as you bend your knee and you'll see how flexible the skin is. With the staples in there was a ridge along the wound but within an hour it has flattened out.

I would also recommend that you take the dressing off, the more air you can get to the skin the better, be careful washing it though, at least early on. I just pour water on it then lightly dab with clean towel for first few days, once its looking more healed I also will rub in a little almond oil on the skin which apparentely helps reduce the scarring although having had four operations on my knee scarring is inevitable and not that much of a worry.

All the best, your only a week or so ahead of me so interesting to follow your progress, what is your rom at the moment, I'm still stuck around 50 - 60 degrees.
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
You lot are making feeling a lot more at ease about my clips coming out on Tuesday. Would any of you say it's similar to stitches coming out? I've only had one bad set of stitches when the surgeon did them too tightly and they made my cry when they came out (and I don't do tears)

I'll be following your progress being just ahead of me.
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:30:48 PM »
Skittle

I think I had 16 or 18 staples in for my MACI and this was taken the day after they came out , It doesn't hurt that much as they have a funny pair of scissors that deform them and they mostly come out fairly cleanly. A few will sting a bit and if you have alot it may seem to get worse as they go along. My advice is not to look as they come out, I did as I couldn't resist doing so which may have made it sting a bit more as I could see what the practise nurse was doing. I only had mine in for two weeks but as you can see they didn't need to be in any longer. You don't need the dressing on after they come out and after another 24 hours I felt comfortable gently washing the wound and within a couple more days very carefully massaging in some almond oil to reduce scarring.

Regards

Andrew
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

support