Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 week post op on broken patella orif surgery  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Ntaf86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
1 week post op on broken patella orif surgery
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »
So I am on 9 days post op on my broken patella. I am still having horrible pain. Is this normal? I go see os Monday. Also wondering will he take out staples than? Thanks to anyone that responds. I just thought the pain would be a little better by now. Am also having alot of swelling in ankle is this normal? Thanks

Offline arthriticknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Physiotherapist
    • The Arthritic Knee
Re: 1 week post op on broken patella orif surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:14:34 AM »
Hi Ntaf86
It is not uncommon to still be in pain 9 days following surgery. To help out your surgeon, think about the quality of the pain before you go for your review.
By this I mean is it the same pain you have when you originally broke your patella? Same place, same feeling? Or is it in a different area and feels like a different type of pain? Is it there constantly or is it related to activity, position or time of day?
Giving accurate information like this can help your surgeon determine if your pain is the "normal" pain you get following a fracture and surgery or if it is a sign of complications.

Staples coming out will depend on how the wound looks. If it is nearly there but not quite they sometimes take out every second one.

Swelling in the ankle is very common and lasts for weeks or months. It is simply an example of gravity at work. Fluid runs down hill so by the end of the day most people have a  nice fat ankle. It goes away at night when we are horizontal then the cycle starts up again the next day.Elevate your leg when sitting to decrease the effect but you won't be able to get rid of all of it.

Good luck at your review,

Jonny.
Remember that any advice on an online forum is of a general nature.
You are always advised to be assessed by a medical professional so your individual situation is addressed.

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 1 week post op on broken patella orif surgery
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
hi, i fractured my patella 6 months ago,i still have problems, but i am putting these down to the hardware which is still in place, and have been told that this has to stay in for about a year.

What you are experiencing is quite normal at this stage, i was with the painkillers for a good couple of weeks post-op.my leg also swelled up, in fact it was so swollen at the 4 months stage i had it checked out for DVT as i was quite worried,but it proved to be negative,and was told it was quite normal with this type of injury,and could even swell up on and off for 12 months,but here at the 6 months stage i no longer have the swelling,thats one problem thats gone away.

This is a terrible injury,and so sorry that you have become one of the many on this site, but its a brilliant site,and you should get all the help, support,and answers you require on the road to your recovery .
Bear in mind that recovery is not going to happen overnight, its a long slow process,so be patient, do every-thing that your os and physio advises, and you should be fine,i have to agree with the quote every one on this site says," its a marathon not a sprint."

you will get very down and depressed at the beginning,but believe me when i say, it does get better,6 months along and i still have one or two issues, but not so bad,when i think back to what i have gone through.
so,keep your chin up,try not to let it get you down too much, and know that things do get better.
i wish you good luck for your recovery.
all the best.
                 coral
PS may-be you would be better to look on "Bone breaks around the knee".the pages on that board are mainly about fractures.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:36:39 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed