Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need some advise  (Read 1277 times)

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Need some advise
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
Ok I am at a cross-roads and need some input. I have really bad knees and the doc wants to go in and clean things up a bit, since my right knee especially has A LOT of scar tissue in there. Doc said that since all we are doing is cleaning things up I can just get it all over with and get both knees done at the same time.
I am not sure if I should do that or do them one at a time. I know that my left knee will bounce back (well it always has before) but the right one is the one that I am worried about. what are your thoughts on getting both knees scoped at the same time.

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • left knee
Re: Need some advise
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do you have help post surgery?  Depending on what they do, you would likely have pretty limited mobility and will need some TLC for a couple of weeks.  If you do, it might be worth having them both done at once.  I've had 6 knee surgeries so far, 2 on the right knee and 4 on the left knee in the past 2 years and the hardest part for me is running in recovery mode. 

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
I agree with ghost, if you can handle the downtime, and have the support systems, that would be a major deciding factor in determining if you wanted to do both knees at once for a "cleanout" scope. Figure that you're not going to be able to walk much, beyond hobble some for several days to a couple weeks, and that you'll need help for everything for at least 3 days, minimum, on a best case scenario.

If you've got someone who can be your virtual slave for a week, and you want to just get it all over with... then make your decision.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »
well that made up my mind... i have no support at home.... dont get me wrong I have kids and I have a hubby but that does mean that they do much, especially when it comes to the horses.
Think that i will just do one at a time that I know that i can handle....