Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: L. knee scope lateral release distal realignment  (Read 1080 times)

Offline dancermom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
L. knee scope lateral release distal realignment
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
Hi,
I am new and my daughter is having the lateral release distal realignment on one knee then 6 weeks later on the other.  She is a twenty yr old college student.  Can anyone out there help me with what to expect?  Thanks!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: L. knee scope lateral release distal realignment
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
Hi dancermom, welcome to KG.

I am hoping to get a little clarification on the procedure in order to help with the question. Is your daughter having lateral release and distal realignment (ie TTT)? Or is she just having a lateral release?

Either way, there are a lot of people on this board that have had both. Many post in the patellofemoral section with questions, and share their surgery experience in the post op diary section.

Why is she having the procedures? Is it just due to pain, or is she having patella instability as well?

In any event, what she can expect in terms of activity really varies depending on the doctor, as different doctors have different protocols for what they allow their patients to do post-op. You should check with the doctor regarding his/her specific protocol as to when she will be allowed to start physical therapy, whether she will have a brace, and what her limitations will be so you can prepare accordingly.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline dancermom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:45:30 AM »
She is having both a lateral release and a distal realignment.  She is having pain and her knee caps are completly out of place.  They go back ingto place when she pulls her knees up level to her hips.  She had a car accident over a year ago.  She has been in PT 4-5 months.  Has been to 2 different surgeons.  First one suggested lateral release.  The one we are going with suggested both procedures due to the severity of her condition.

Offline dancermom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
I guess with her surgery being Tuesday I am looking for people who have been through it or been through it with an adult child etc...to know what to expect and ways to help her with comfort and ease her pain.  I do know it is one week of complete bed rest.  Help ??? please.... ???  She will be inpatient a day or two.  What should I have at home to prepare?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
Well, for my surgery I was only allowed to put 25# of weight on my leg but I did not have a brace or any restrictions on bending my knee. I found having a shower chair to sit on in the shower was a big help. I'm not a back sleeper, and my back started bothering me very soon after the surgery, so I purchased a wedge type pillow which helped a lot. I had a cryocuff unit which was great--no need to keep changing out ice packs. If you go with ice packs, people say bags of frozen veggies work well.

Try to stay in front of the pain as far as meds go. Stock up on things she likes to eat and make sure she drinks plenty of fluids. I had tons of gatorade. If she's having general anesthesia, she might have a sore throat from the breathing tube, so ice cream is always nice for that. If she will be in a brace that locks the leg straight, some people have said having a stool of some sort to prop the leg on in the bathroom is useful.

The meds can constipate a person, so you might want to have on hand stool softener and perhaps some kind of "stimulant" if she has trouble in that area.

Lots of ice, elevation, and entertainment is pretty much the trick.

Here's a few threads to check out for moms with daughters having gone through the TTT.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=45804.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47865.0

That's all I can think of right now. It's kind of hard to say what to expect, it's different for everyone.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline dancermom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »
Thanks...this advice and the articles helped.  Will post again after the surgery.  So glad I found this site.  Not sure how she is expected to go back to school a week after surgery on crutches.