Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What are the signs of a TKR failure  (Read 2447 times)

Offline LongJohnSilver

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What are the signs of a TKR failure
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
I had a TKR 5 years ago and it has been a real success, but just of recent I am experiencing pain and stiffness in the knee. Now I know I do treat the knee as a normal knee and it has not stopped me from doing many activities although I would not Ski, play football, squash etc.
I am obviously concerned that I may have accidentally caused failure of the TKR but do not know what the signs would be, I have tried searching the net but without any joy.
Is it possible I have just strained the joint/tendons or should I be seeking professional advice?
Can anyone please give some indications as to what would happen if the TKR has failed or been damaged.
Regards.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: What are the signs of a TKR failure
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »
I'm no expert but members on here with early failure talk about instability of the knee, giving way, severe pain, looseness and laxity...not sure what a 5 years + "wearing out" might feel like.....I guess it is very possible you have another issue going that could just be muscle related but I think I'd probably be getting it checked out. It may be something like a spacer wearing out and if you identify an issue sooner rather than later your TKR could last you another good many years.....simple X-rays should show any loosening issues or shifting of the parts I would imagine. Do you have a doctor you can go back and see for advice?

And good news that you treat the TKR like a normal knee. Thats a positive experience!

Good luck

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline LongJohnSilver

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »
Hi Lottie
Thanks for the reply.
The signs I have at the moment are mainly what feels like bruising/tenderness on the outside so that when I put weight on the knee, as in going down/upstairs it is quite painful.
No problems with back and forth movement, or normal walking and no feeling of looseness.
I have to be honest I am just coming up for 70 and as well as leading a very normal life I go jiving each week and recently taken up ballroom dancing.
This has meant spinning on my right leg (the TKR), this I feel has placed a quite heavy twisting strain on my knee and it may be that is the issue. I sincerely hope that is all it is.
The knee is also a little swollen which makes it slightly stiff. Again the joint feels as if the bone is bruised.
If I have done too much on the knee then thats to be expected.
I would have thought that if the TKR was failing then I would not be as mobile as I am.
In fairness the TKR has been a massive success and I have no hesitation in recommending having it done it the situation requires it.
I have been resting it for a week now and will give it some more time and if it does not improve then I will go and see my doctor.
Kind regards.
David

Offline andyek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:47 AM »
I had 2 TKR's, one in 06 and one in 07.  The 06 is perfect, no pain, great mobility.  It was done with a computer.  The 07 done W/O a computer, I experienced severe edema, blisters and final healing which delayed PT.  In 08 I developed the gout which went to the knee.  I had arthoscopic surgery in 08 and continued PT.  I was still getting pain and in 10 told the Dr the knee didn't look right, pain on the lateral hamstring with a "bulge" which PT told me it was a weak muscle.  I complained so much in a recent check up that the Dr seemed to believe me and thought I had a cyst.  Sonar test indicated a mass of something, it would not drain.  Scheduled for day surgery soon.  The pain on the outside of the knee was caused by something after all, found only by a sonar gram.  Some surgeons, no matter how good a surgeon, often do not like the after care/followup, they would rather do surgery.

support