Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI Questions  (Read 949 times)

Offline sassy411

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI Questions
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm new here & finding my knee issues are starting to dominate my life.  I had an injury in July & things are getting worse rather than better.  My I landed on my right knee after a fall; now my left is breaking down from bearing more weight as I limp.  I've had to give up the treadmill, but fortunately have access to a lap pool, so I swim laps most days.  I didn't realize until recently how weak my quads had become & I am working on that.

The cortisone shot did nothing other than make the pain spread.  I just had my 2d shot of that synthetic stuff, so it's early.  But what is up with this pain?!  Both knees ache all the time, walking even a few steps makes it much worse & if I do a lot of walking, I pay dearly the next day.  Normally, at this time of year I'd be walking my dog 2 mi every day.  :'(  Now I'm having sharp stabbing pains in my right leg along with the aches.

Maybe someone can help me understand my MRI better.  I thought it basically said things aren't that bad, but I am miserable.  The OS has me on tamadol & Mobic, the tamadol helps some.  I'm also fearing this is not going to get better anytime soon.  All opinions will be appreciated.

MRI:

No meniscal or ligament tear.
Myxoid degeneration in posterior horn of medial meniscus  & periphery of lateral meniscus.
Mild chondromalacia of lateral compartment & patella.
Small Baker's cyst.

Offline sassy411

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: MRI Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
Nobody?   :'(

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
You've got some wear and tear in your menisci and some wear on the cartilage behind your kneecap and in the lateral compartment (outside of the knee). Wear and tear can cause a lot of symptoms even if the wear isn't that significant. Painkillers can help, as can the right PT - have you had/are you having any physio to help strengthen the leg around the knee??

The Bakers Cyst may be causing more problems than these - what has been recommended?

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline sassy411

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
Thanks, Lottie.  The OS didn't recommend PT but I swim & am going to the gym anyway & isolating the quads.

For now, just the synthetic stuff shots in my right knee & pain killers. 

I'm hoping there are other options short of TKR which OS says will ultimately have to happen but he says I'm too young for that yet.