Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Im new at this but I had a Fulkerson Osteotomy and have questions.  (Read 895 times)

Offline HonorShort

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am 26 years old and had a Fulkerson Osteotomy on my right knee on the 29th of September so a little over 2 weeks ago. I have issues that are bothering me so hopefully somebody out their can give me some answers. First thing is that when i got out of the hospital they gave me a list of exercise to do to get the mobility back. I can do all of the exercises but one. I don't have a problem bending my knee but there is an exercise where you put a pillow under your knee so it is bent and then try to extend your leg straight. I can not do this movement for the life of me it's like my brain says do it but my knee doesn't respond. Im scared that being 2 and a half weeks out of surgery i should be able to do this. Has anyone had this issue and is it normal or should i worry? Also how long have peoples stitches been left in? I have 19 stitches in the incision and my doctor doesn't have me coming back in again for another week or so. I will have had my stitches in for about 22 days then. I ask this question because lately my stitches feel very tight and itchy. Maybe im over reacting Im just scared that something isn't right, maybe because this was my first big surgery but I would love any feedback you would like to share.
  Thank you!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Im new at this but I had a Fulkerson Osteotomy and have questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
Hi HonorShort, welcome to the other side LOL!

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to do that extension exercise. Just keep working it as directed. As you get stronger and as it hurts less, it should come for you, the key is to keep working at it. Try using your other leg to "help" you (picture tightening your quad to raise the leg and then using your other foot to help raise the operative leg at the ankle). Sometimes, your brain just needs to be reminded of how to do something and the muscle just needs a kick start.

How long the stitches get left in is really doctor dependent. After my surgery, I had 40+ staples between my 2 incisions and they were to stay in for 4 weeks. I think it is normal that they begin to itch, but do keep an eye on it because if you are getting a rash you'll want to let your doctor know.

Sounds like you are doing alright. Best of luck in your recovery.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:02:02 AM »
Hello!

I had a Fulkerson 5.5 months ago (Wow the time has flown...kinda...).  It's hard to believe it's been so long!  Like Crankerchick said, don't worry about not being able to do any exercise yet, especially an extension one. I'm still working on those (with weights) and it's hard!  And like Crankerchick said, sometimes the muscles just don't remember what to do.  Sounds silly, but I had issues with my straight leg raises.  I felt like my leg was strong enough to do it, but it took a few weeks and starting PT with E-stim to remember what to do.  Then suddenly my leg figured it out and I could do it well!  Silly muscles...

I had internal stitches, so only the first and last one poked out of my skin, which were removed 10 days post op.  I am sensitive to adhesives and such, and the few stitches I had itched as well.  Nobody was worried about it, and I think it's pretty normal.  So long as there's no rash, I'd say you're probably fine.  :) 

Hope recovery goes well for you!  The Fulkerson (plus MPFL reconstruction) was my first big surgery...well only surgery other than wisdom teeth, and it is frustrating during the recovery!  Just keep your sights set on the goal of having a better knee, and know it'll all be worth it!

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline HonorShort

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:52:14 AM »
Thanks for the information and support guys! I go back to the doctor tomorrow to get stitches out and just make sure everything is okay. I am so excited to have these stitches out. They had told me that i would have the internal kind but when i finally got to take the bandages off I found out that that wasn't what they did. Oh well they will be gone tomorrow and I won't miss them! LOL! I am sure you guys are right that i shouldn't be worried about not being able to do the extension exercise yet it's just frustrating! I will probably be more at ease after I get to talk to my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he gets a goodnight's sleep because I have tons of questions for him! LOL! But anyways thanks again and if i have anymore questions i will be sure to get back on here again

support