Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help needed please. Completely torn ACL and MCL...  (Read 795 times)

Offline gallacher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help needed please. Completely torn ACL and MCL...
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »
Hi, to all,

Eight  weeks ago I injured my knee playing sports. After an MRI on my left knee, it revealed completely torn ACL and MCL and partual tear of PCL, and an impact fracture. I have to wait a further 4 weeks to see my NHS (UK) consultant

I have seen my local doctor to ask for advise, which to be honest has been little or no help.
I wear 24/7 a cricket pad style splint.

What i need to know is should i be walking and putting weight on my damaged knee?
Should I always wear the splint all the time?
Should i return to work or rest my knee? I work 14 hour shifts standing!
If i can walk, how far is ok?

My knee is still very swollen and there is occasional pain. The knee is also VERY unstable, as i feel my knee can bend in every direction.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as i have nt been given and information as to what i should or should not be doing.

Iam going crazy!
Cheers for any help1

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Help needed please. Completely torn ACL and MCL...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
Talk about serious knee damage, gallacher. Bad enough to have ruptured your ACL but having destroyed your MCL & torn your PCL doesn't leave very much holding your leg together.

For sure you should be wearing a brace - anything that'll give the knee some stability. But obviously you're going to need surgical repairs with so much damage. It'd be a good thing to maintain the integrity of your quads as that'll help you in the recovery post op.

Just know that each time your knee buckles there's the possibility of more damage so it behooves you to see that doesn't happen. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help needed please. Completely torn ACL and MCL...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury!

Can you walk without a limp? IF not, you should be using crutches. The reason is that walking with a limp, especially over a long period of time, can injury other parts of you (especially the hip).

First order of business is to heal from the initial injury.  That means getting the swelling down and making sure that you don't injure it further.  So, ice, elevate, take high doses of ibuprofen, and rest it.  Once your swelling is down substantially, you can start work on strengthening that will allow you to increase your activity.  Only then, should you consider standing for 14 hours at a time. You'll need to work up to it.  If you did it now (or close to now), you'd probably just cause everything to swell up again and set yourself back. You need to build some muscle again to help protect the knee while it's in its precarious ligament-less state.

I had a much less serious injury than you...ruptured ACL, torn MCL and bone bruises...but I wasn't able to be really fully functional for about 2 months after my injury. Others are much, much quicker to return to semi-normal, but it depends upon the severity of the initial injury and how long it takes for the swelling to subside. Good luck to you! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

support