Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee pain after driving  (Read 4499 times)

Offline vince1770

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain after driving
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and forgive me if this was already answered. I drive an hour to work and an hour back home 4 days a week. Recently, I have been experiencing a pain in my knee. Sometimes it feels like it's behind my knee cap and sometimes it's below. Most of the time it's a dull ache and on occasion in can be sharp. When the pain occurs, it's difficult but not impossible to walk up stairs and walking is accomplished with a limp.

Could this from driving so much? For the last 8 years, I'm averaging about 25,000 miles a year.

Are there any products out in the market that would help (i.e. knee supports, stabilizers, braces)?

I have an appointment with an orthopedist but it's not until next month, so thought I get some information in the meantime.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Knee pain after driving
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
Hi There,

I sometimes feel pain inside the knee if I have been driving long distance and have maltracking problems in both knees which could be the cause of your pain. Maltracking is a common knee problems and can be solved by physio or sometimes surgery depending how aligned your knees are.

I would see what your OS has to say about your knee pain before buying any knee supports or braces.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Knee pain after driving
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
I would check with an OS about it in any case.  You knee may not like to be bent at the angle it is for driving.  Can you put the seat up or back a bit to change that and see what happens?  I find I need to keep the seat back as far as I can and still be able to steer so the knees don't hurt.  :)
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support