Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice needed: Still having pain after surgery.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline JMV

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice needed: Still having pain after surgery.
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
I had my right knee scoped for meniscus repair in 99'. Last December an MRI showed another tear had occurred. When the surgeon went in he said the meniscus looked fine, but I had a plica shelf(?) which was probably causing the trouble. I couldn't figure out if the MRI was a misdiagnosis on the tear, or if tears sometimes don't reach the surface. If it's the latter I wasn't sure if it could possibly reach the surface sometime. But I couldn't get these questions answered. He said both the joint and meniscus looks fine. In the past month the pain has come back, and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice? Thanks for your time!

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Advice needed: Still having pain after surgery.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »
Sorry to hear about this.  It is very common with plica tohave a hard recovery and few people seem to get rid of the pain completely.  Some who have had plica removed seem worse off.  Sometimes  the plica comes back but usually it is scar tissue.  I had plica on lateral side of the knee and above the kneecap and I get soreness there but they don't give me any mechanical problems but they can be annoying from time to time and I think I can live with it, but if it got worse I would get another scope to clear away the scar tissue.  My pt said it was scar tissue and he gave me a friction massage to try to break it up which helped get rid of the worst of it but didn't cure it, even though he was confident that it would.  You could have an ultrasound scan which might tell you if you have scar tissue and if conservative methods don't work then you would need a scope.

All the best

Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline JMV

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »
Thanks for your reply. That really helps!

Has anyone had a similar thing where the meniscus was diagnosed as torn, but found not to be torn upon inspection? That part is what puzzles me most.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
I'd say that the mris can often e wrong.  My first mri said that there was an alteredsignal in my patella tendon and said there wa possible tendonosis, so I got an ultrasound to check and the ultrasound to confirm it and it came back saying that my patella tendon was OK but the confusion had occoured because of something called magic angle phenomina.  I've had two mris on my left knee and one said I had a slightly attenuated acl and the next one said my acl was fine, but they don't heal, they never heal.  I've been told that even if you move a toe slightly just once it can compromise the quality of the mri.  Then there;s the machine they used, it could be an old one and the radiologists don't always agree on what they see.  If you've got the pictures then show them to a surgeon and that might help or get another raidiologists opinion on them.  NRI's are not really very good, they show up problems with some people and don't even hint at what is going on with others.  My first mri said I was fine even though my knee felt terrible and I had a loose body inside, a artliage tear and a damaged acl and the scan never even hinted at there being anything wrong.  It also said the bit above about tendonosis which led me completely down the wrong path for a few months.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline JMV

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
I received an MRI, but I don't understand it. My OS said there may be some "thickening" but he didn't say of what or where! Maybe someone could help? There is other stuff about the meniscus, which I understood. However, I couldn't interpret this part:

1. The patella medial facet has a small focal linear signal increase extending into it, as if there is a small fissure. No joint fluid is visible within this - it appears fibrosed. Just superior-laterally from this is a relatively small area of articular cartilage thinning which appears mild rather than moderate - and smooth-surfaced.

Does anyone know what any of this means?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
You have a bit of kneecap wear on the cartilage underneath the medial (inner) facet - it seems there may be a crack which is kind of fibrosed (this could be the thickening?) - next to that is a small bit of slight thinning of cartilage but its smooth.
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....