Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi, another newbie who cannot understand her MRI results  (Read 1824 times)

Offline catsandtrees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi, another newbie who cannot understand her MRI results
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
Hi,

well first of all I cannot believe there is a forum dedicated to knee problems, amazing!

I would really appreciate some help in understanding what is wrong with my knee, what type of surgery will be performed, what it involves and recovery time etc.  I am a police officer and want to get back out on the street asap.

I got my MRI results today and basically the consultant said he needs to operate on my knee and shave and smooth some bits.  He showed me my scans and to be honest it meant nothing.

This is what was in my MRI results letter.

Focal chondropathy of the medial patellofemoral joint with chondral fissure some thinning of the articular cartilage and subchondra bone marrow oedema in the medial facet of patella.  Small suprapateller joint effusion.  It then says at the bottom, focal osteoarthritis of the patellofemoral joint with chondral fissure and subchondral changes in the medial facet of patella, small joint effusion.

So does this mean that my knee is just abit worn?  I am very nervous about surgery, will I be on crutches afterwards?  consultant said I will be off work for a month afterwards and then will be on desk duties for a while.

Thanks  so much in advance if anyone can try and put this into english.

Offline catsandtrees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Hi, another newbie who cannot understand her MRI results
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »
Anybody! ???

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
Hi

You have some damage to the medial (inner) aspect of your patella (kneecap). There is a fissure (crack) and some generalised thinning (not unusual on the patella as its does take a beating!). It sounds like your doc is proposing some form of chondroplasty to smooth the cartilage and hopefully improve function. What symptoms do you have? How lmited are you? A scope with smoothing/shaving *can* help especially if you have catching or locking or loose bodies in the joint, but often a decent PT program can strengthen the joint and reduce the friction.

The other thing I'd be asking of my surgeon is WHY that area of the kneecap has the damage. Does your kneecap track correctly? Do you have muscle imbalances causing the kneecap to pull laterally and overload the medial facet? If so, you'll need to work on the imbalances as much as have the cartilage smoothed out. Kneecap wear is a symptom, not a cause.

If you do have the scope and its only patella shaving you should be weight bearing pretty much immediately, with a gradual return to activity over 6-8 weeks. Everyone recovers differently and although a scope is minimally invasive in terms of holes cut it is still surgery on a complex joint and the knee can take a while to settle.

You also need to be very clear that your OS is only going to do what he says. Sometimes they get scapel happy, especially with patella issues. You dn't want to wake up to a surprise lateral release if it isn't truly indicated, or her things tha you might not have been expecting.

Good luck,

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline catsandtrees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
Hi

You have some damage to the medial (inner) aspect of your patella (kneecap). There is a fissure (crack) and some generalised thinning (not unusual on the patella as its does take a beating!). It sounds like your doc is proposing some form of chondroplasty to smooth the cartilage and hopefully improve function. What symptoms do you have? How lmited are you? A scope with smoothing/shaving *can* help especially if you have catching or locking or loose bodies in the joint, but often a decent PT program can strengthen the joint and reduce the friction.

The other thing I'd be asking of my surgeon is WHY that area of the kneecap has the damage. Does your kneecap track correctly? Do you have muscle imbalances causing the kneecap to pull laterally and overload the medial facet? If so, you'll need to work on the imbalances as much as have the cartilage smoothed out. Kneecap wear is a symptom, not a cause.

If you do have the scope and its only patella shaving you should be weight bearing pretty much immediately, with a gradual return to activity over 6-8 weeks. Everyone recovers differently and although a scope is minimally invasive in terms of holes cut it is still surgery on a complex joint and the knee can take a while to settle.

You also need to be very clear that your OS is only going to do what he says. Sometimes they get scapel happy, especially with patella issues. You dn't want to wake up to a surprise lateral release if it isn't truly indicated, or her things tha you might not have been expecting.

Good luck,

Lottie  :)

Lottie, thanks so much for your reply.  You have given me a lot to think about.

Basically a year ago I got injured at worked and got slammed to the ground and landed face down on the concrete and smashed my knee hard.  I dont know if I twisted it whilst going down and it was all a bit of a blur at the time.  I could hardly walk on it when I eventually got up, I went straight to hospital and had an immediate xray as they thought I has broken my knee cap.  Xray revealed no break and the hospital just said rest it, ice packs etc.  They hardly touched my knee.  I ended up having physion for a couple of months and it seemed to recover but occassionaly during the last year I get pain and now and again out of the blue my knee gives way.

At the beginning of september this year I tripped down the last 3 stairs at home and jolted my knee.  I managed to work for a week before realising that it was just to bad to work as I could not run/jump on it and I am a police officer so need to be fit.

GP thought I had sprained my knee.  3 weeks later I asked to see a Physio, saw her the next day and she thought I had torn my PCL and said I needed an MRI, a few days later I saw the consultant knee surgean who said I had torn my cartilage, and obviously I have the results of what is actually wrong.

My symptons at the moment is throbbing of the knee, tightness behind the knee, pain when I try and lift the leg, pain when going up and down the stairs, walking down slopes seems to be the worst.

My knee does not lock but is beginning to give way from me more often which really takes my breath away.  I often feel that I just really need to strech it out.

Hope this helps you understand my problem abit better.

I will try and get hold of the surgeons secretary to find out what proceedure he is actually going to perform.